Chapter 3

Sasuke was on his way home when his phone made a pinging noise, notifying him that he had received a text message. He glanced at the phone sitting on the center console, it's bluish glow illuminating the darkness of the car. It was probably Itachi reminding him about tonight's dinner at his parents house, he decided to ignore it for the meanwhile. Sasuke always had a terrible habit of missing out on social events or gatherings, it was usually on purpose, but sometimes he would get so caught up in his work, that he would forget. Itachi knew this all too well. He wanted the best for his younger brother. He wanted him to live his twenties to the fullest, he wanted him to have fun once and a while and get out with his friends. Well, if Sasuke really had any friends.

Sasuke arrived at his childhood home. Nothing had really changed about the house in all the years of his life. It was still the same old house that held memories of the good and bad times. Sasuke stepped out of his vehicle, he slowly strolled to the entrance of his once humble home. He raised his hand to ring the doorbell that was to the right of him. Just as he was about to ring the bell a woman appeared beside him. He must have been really zoned out if didn't even hear the woman's clacking heels down the sidewalk. What the hell was wrong with him? Sasuke glanced at the woman beside him and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and suspension.

"Who the hell are you?" His tone came off colder than expected.

The woman giggled, "Still grumpy as ever Sasuke Uchiha." She offered Sasuke a kind and gentle smile.

"Answer the question. Wait, how do you even know who I am? Are you some kind of stalker?" Sasuke ordered. His police instincts were kicking in.

"What? Are you serious? You and your brother are idiots! Seriously! It took him like five minutes to finally figure out who I am!" She let out a hearty laugh, she looked into Sasuke's dark onyx eyes. He stared right back into her emerald ones.

The more Sasuke stared into her bright gleaming green eyes, the more familiar they got. He recognized those eyes. He only knew one person with those with sparkling green around those piercing irises.

Sasuke's eyes widened at the realization of the person who stood in front of him. A smile still danced on her face displaying her little dimples that lifted her soft rosy cheeks.

"S-Sakura?" He managed to say, but it came out in a stutter instead. He was bewildered at the fact that his high school bestfriend stood at the front door of his old home. There was still one question playing in his mind, what was she doing here at his parents home?

She chuckled, "That's me. Say, didn't Itachi tell you I was visiting? He invited me over for dinner with your family." Sakura informed with a smile.

Sasuke suddenly remembered the text message he received earlier. He took his phone out of his pants pocket and unlocked the screen, he examined the message. Low and behold it was from his elder brother, it read...

Don't forget about dinner with mom and dad at 6. I invited one of your old classmates from high school over for dinner to join us. Please be there on time.

Love Itachi

"Dammit Itachi." Sasuke muttered. He stuck his phone back in his pocket and looked at the now pinked haired woman, he recalled her hair being dirty blonde the last time he saw her. Sasuke was staring at her for quite a while, she shifted her foot uncomfortably under his intense stare. He noticed her uneasiness and decided to break the tension, he cleared his throat feeling a bit awkward. "So... how have you been?"

Sakura eased when he stopped staring, she returned to a confident posture. "I've been doing quite well. Got my nursing degree! I just went in for an interview today, apparently at the same hospital your brother works at and I happened to bump into him! Sorta a funny coincidence, don't you think?" She placed her right hand on her hip and winked at him playfully.

Sasuke couldn't help but feel a ball of happiness form in his chest. She was still as silly as ever. He smirked and raised his eyebrow, his own playful side started to take over.

"Hn. Ironic." He turned to face the door and rang the doorbell.

Sakura pouted at his response, she knew he was teasing. But she smiled once more, enjoying the moment. She admitted that her cheeks started to hurt a little from the constant smiles she was showcasing to the Uchiha. But she couldn't help it, she was excited to see her long lost best friend.

Itachi greeted Sasuke and Sakura at the door. He moved aside to let the two young adults in.

"Welcome. I see you've met our guest already little brother." Itachi smirked. Sasuke shot a death glare at Itachi. Itachi chuckled in response, his younger brother could be so dense sometimes.

"Ah, thank you 'Tachi-kun." Sakura bowed, her and Sasuke removed their shoes. Sakura removed her jacket and folded it into a square, pressing it against her torso. Itachi noticed and offered to take her jacket off her hands. She smiled handing him her jacket, bowing her head again.

Sasuke led Sakura to the all too familiar living room. She looked around the room still amazed at how much this place hasn't changed. As the three young adults entered the den, they were met with none other than Fugaku Uchiha. He was reading a book, he didn't even bother to spare a glance at his two sons. Sakura seemed to notice this and cleared her throat to get his attention.

"Hello Mr. Uchiha." Sakura said with a smile.

Fugaku finally glanced up to look at the smiling pink haired woman. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion forming his glabella to crease.

"Itachi invited a stranger over to a family dinner. I don't know you woman. Leave now." Fugaku demanded in a firm and threatening tone.

Sakura flinched and pursed her lips together nervously. Sasuke glanced over at Sakura, noticing her uneasiness. Sasuke spoke up and defended his old best friend.

"Father, this is Sakura Haruno. She used to come over here quite often when we were in high school."

Fugaku stare softened as he looked at the young woman for a second time, taking in the information his youngest son had relayed to him. He closed his book and placed it to the side of him, Fugaku stood up and faced Sakura.

"Welcome. I'll go inform my wife that you arrived." Fugaku walked off into the other room where his wife, Mikoto, cooked dinner.

"I apologize about my father." Itachi bowed, embarrassed at his fathers behavior.

Sakura giggled, "Hey no need too! It's probably the hair throwing everyone off. I can see why he mistaken me for a stranger. Actually, when I was in college me and my ex-boyfriend used to dye our hair different colors and I guess I really enjoyed it and kept on changing colors. Until the color pink that is." Another of Sakura's famous smiles danced at her lips, her eyes squinting forming creases on the sides of her eyes. Her pink tinted cheeks glowed each time she showcased her smiles and giggles.

"She had a boyfriend?" Sasuke said unconsciously out loud. He didn't realize what he said until Itachi had elbowed him in the rib for asking such a rude question. "What?" Sasuke spat.

Sakura chuckled at the boy's antics. "Yeah, but I was nineteen. I was stupid and in love. He was a good man though... but that was a long time ago. So what have you two been up too? Hm? I've told you guys all about me so far, I wanna know what you've been doing all these years." She tilted her head, rethinking her words. Maybe that question was a little stronger than she intended it to be. Her thoughts were already on the table, no taking it back now. She would just have to go with it and move on.