The Glenn Miller Theory

"Vanessa, would you like to explain to me why I just caught you making out with Mr Gallagher?!" Maisie hisses at me, and I immediately shush her. Dragging her by the arm I pull her into my Mum's room and close the door behind us.

"Keep your voice down!" I tell her "Someone will hear you! Mr Gallagher's girlfriend is downstairs having drinks with my Mother"

Maisie gasps and I cover her mouth with my hand, shushing her again. Her eyes are as wide as planets and I shake my head warningly at her as I remove my hand from her mouth.

"He's got a girlfriend...?" Maisie asks slowly, and to my relief in a quiet voice. I nod at her. "Oh my God Vanessa, he's our teacher!"

"So?" I offer and she groans, throwing her hands up and she begins pacing the room. I can hear her sighing at me and I stand there feeling very awkward. Finally Maisie turns back to me.

"Nessa, I know your break up with Shaun has been so hard for you, I understand, I really do, but do you really think having a fling with Mr Gallagher is going to solve anything?" She exasperates, and I pout.

"It's not a fling. We're going out for dinner tomorrow night" I tell her, disappointed she's not more excited by it and she raises her eyebrow at me. Maisie looks suspicious, which is not an unusual trait for her.

"And do you think taking you out for dinner is more than just a fling to him?" Maisie points out and for a second I feel doubtful.

It was me who had tried to establish what we had been doing as a little fling. Mr Gallagher had made it into something more.

But maybe he was just trying to give me a false sense of security so I'd be more willing to continue what we were doing. He does have a girlfriend after all.

"He's a lot older than you Vanessa, at least ten years" Maisie points out and I scoff. I tell her that he's not that old, even though I'm not sure exactly how old he is. "Do you even know his first name?"

I pause. "Probably something beginning with a T"

Maisie narrows her large eyes at me. "You only know that because it says so on his Teacher ID badge from school. I can't believe you'd be so willing to swap saliva with someone's whose first name you don't even know!"

"Swapping salvia" I snigger. Maisie doesn't look amused.

"I hope you haven't been swapping more than saliva" Maisie utters darkly and I giggle. She looks so serious.

"Sorry, Mum" I joke and she sighs. "I know it looks bad, but we'll see what the deal is over dinner tomorrow night. And no, nothing too serious has happened yet"

"Be careful, Nessa" Maisie warns and I shrug, giving her a playful smile.

"It'll be fine, Maisie, okay? I'm a big girl; I can take care of myself. But thank you for looking out for me" I say and give her a hug. "Let's be getting back to the sleepover! I need you to all compliment my new hair again" I joke with a wink and she giggles.

We head out of the room and back into my bedroom. Maisie goes in first, but as I turn to go in I head Trudy's loud laugh from downstairs. Mr Gallagher is down there. My heart thuds as I step into my room and close the door.

"Hey! Where have you been?" Kimmy asks when we walk in and I smile innocently.

"Just downstairs, we should be able to have the living room in a few hours" I tell them and they nod.