A Delayed Start

A Delayed Start

Trying to get to sleep that night was next to impossible. I was tossing and turning for almost an hour after I’d gotten into bed.

I’m nervous about meeting my Dad tomorrow and thinking about sleeping just made it harder to sleep.

What if he doesn’t like me? What if he meets me and I’m not what he thought I would be? What if he’s not what I imagined?

Over the years so many different Dad’s have come and gone through my mind. Single, married, a loner, popular, artistic and isolated, business man in a suit, bearded or clean shaved- so many different Dad’s and I don’t know which one belongs to me.

 I sigh, and turn and lie on my side. Fidgeting, I try and close my eyes. But they flick open on their own and I groan. I reach for my phone from the bedside table, and I begin flicking through my apps.

I’ll never get to sleep while I’m on my phone.

I re-read my message from Mr Gallagher. Two little x’s- that was all he put. But x’s stand for kisses, don’t they? So he was sending me kisses. The thought makes me blush.

It doesn’t make me blush as much as the thoughts of our kissing earlier. My hand was down in his trousers! I giggle, my stomach flipping over in excitement. He liked it too. Mr Gallagher wants me!

But how do I feel about him?

I put my phone down beside my pillow, and settle down into the bed, determined on getting to sleep. But then my phone begins to vibrate beside me and I realise someone’s calling me. I answer it without hesitation, without checking who’s calling, hoping and praying it’ll be him.

“Hello?” I begin excitedly. I bite my lip and curl my legs up into myself. I can’t wait to hear his voice- the sexual purr of his manly low growl. Oh Mr Gallagher, I imagine myself saying, what gives me the pleasure of talking to you on this fine evening?

“Nessy?” A voice says.

I realise that it’s Shaun.

Immediately my heart sinks because it’s not Mr Gallagher. It sinks further when I realise it’s my deceiving ex-boyfriend.

“What do you want?” I state, because if he doesn’t want anything then I’m just going to hang up. I don’t know why I haven’t just done that already.

“I just... I just wanted to talk Nessy. I miss you, okay, and I miss our talks” Shaun admits, and for a second I soften. We used to talk for hours when he first went. All the time we were together we never went a day without speaking. I do miss him... I guess.

But then I remember his new blonde.

“How’s Jessica?” I ask stiffly, and he sighs.