Picking the Strings

Picking the Strings

I couldn't stop thinking about Mr Gallagher the next day at school.

Even though I didn't even have one of his lessons, my eyes were constantly on the prowl for him, determined to seek him out somewhere.

He's speeding around in my mind, and he refuses to leave. I can barely concentrate on anything.

"Are you okay?" Maisie asks me with a smile, waking me up out of yet another daydream "You've been really distracted today"

I've also been thinking a lot about meeting my Dad tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to tell Maisie about it yet because things are still really bad at home and I don't want to make her comfort me when she's the one in need of some support.

I look at her, and she giggles. She takes another bite out of her sandwich, as the canteen is beginning to fill up and we don't want to be here much longer. "Yeah, I'm okay, just thinking about something..." I trail off, and she looks at me coyly.

"I don't think it's something, I think it's someone!" Maisie accuses, and the flush on my cheeks answers her question. "Aha! Wait, it's not Shaun is it?"

I shake my head. I honestly hadn't thought a positive thing about Shaun since the FaceTime incident. Every time I thought about him now it was something negative, and usually it made me angry so I tried to avoid it.

"No, of course not" I declare "That's so over and done with". I smile at myself, pleased that I'm being so strong.

Just then, I see Mr Gallagher crossing the canteen, and slipping his way into the front of the lunch queue; a teacher privilege. It used to apply to sixth formers too, but apparently that was too much of a luxury and was scrapped.

I see him pick up a lunch tray, and chat happily enough with a dinner lady. Maisie nudges me. "What are you staring at Mr Gallagher for?" She asks me, and I stand to my feet.

"I need to go ask him something about my performance" I lie, and I hurriedly make my way over to him.

His lunch tray is in his hand, and he's already made his way out of the canteen, by the time I reach him. "Mr Gallagher!" I call out, and he turns around.

"Vanessa, come to my office" Mr Gallagher tells me and he leads me a little down the corridor to his office. The door is already open and he places his lunch tray down on the desk and gestures for me to sit down. "What can I do for you?" He asks me, and I smile.

"I just wanted to see if you're available for rehearsal tonight" I ask, even though I didn't really have a reason to be here. It's amazing how easily the lies just fall from my tongue.

"Vanessa, I'm not sure that it's appropriate anymore for the two of us to rehearse together" Mr Gallagher states, and I notice his eyes flick to the open office door.

"Are we seriously doing this again? We both agreed that yesterday wasn't a big deal" I remind him, and he takes a sip out of a flask that looks to contain coffee.

I wonder if that's what my Dad will drink tomorrow when I meet him at the cafe. Or maybe he’s more of a tea person? How would I know? It’s not like I can remember him.

"It just concerns me Vanessa" Mr Gallagher informs me, and I roll my eyes at him.

"So what am I supposed to do about my performance? I need to do a duet" I ask him, and I can see him dithering.

"I'm not quite sure at the moment..." He replies, and begins flicking through some paper on his desk. He’s trying to avoid eye contact. I huff loudly and he looks at me.

"Well that's brilliant. You're just going to leave me floundering. I don't have any other alternative" I snap at him, and he stands to his feet. He closes the door to his office, containing just the two of us.

"Your attitude isn't very appropriate Vanessa" He states, and I groan.

"Is anything appropriate with you?" I scoff, and he narrows his eyes at me.

"What happened in the classroom shouldn't have happened, and what happened in the car definitely shouldn't have happened. I'm only trying to intervene before something silly and stupid happens Vanessa" Mr Gallagher informs me sternly, his voice like a python wrapping around my body. "You've grown rather attached to me, and we can continue rehearsing together but it needs to be in a more open environment with other members of staff present"

"Excuse me?" I ask but he cuts me off.

"I wouldn't want you to embarrass yourself Vanessa" Mr Gallagher declares, and I stand to my feet.

My hands are on my hips and I'm scowling at him so intently I'm hoping he'll explode.

"My apologies, I wouldn't want to be embarrassing" I hiss "I wouldn't almost kiss you while you're in my car, it would be far too embarrassing!" I snarl, role reversing so he understands exactly which one of us is being ‘embarrassing’.

"Vanessa-!"

"No! I have a lot going on right now and the last thing I am being is embarrassing. My apologies if your girlfriend isn't satisfying and you have to get your rocks off by stalking your students-!"

"That is enough!" Mr Gallagher shouts, and his voice cuts me off. I stand there, panting, keeping eye contact with him. He’s glaring at me and I’m shooting daggers at him and the whole situation is extremely uncomfortable.

I suddenly realise how hot the room is. Mr Gallagher's blue shirt is sticking to him, and his tie is splayed all over it. Taking a deep breath, I tentatively reach a hand out, and I straighten his tie. My fingers stroke the soft material, and my breath hitches.

"That was out of order. I'm sorry" I apologise, and Mr Gallagher nods. Like a hawk he's watching me adjust his tie, and I look up at him.

Our eyes meet and he takes a step back. "This needs to stop" He begs me, and I shake my head.