Gold Spandex Ballet

Gold Spandex Ballet

“Thank you for taking me out” I tell Tyger. We’re parked outside my house. He smiles and leans forwards, capturing his lips with mine again. He pulls away too soon and I bite my lip.

“You’re so beautiful” He tells me and he moves to tuck a stray strand of hair behind my ears. “When will I see you again?”

“I could come in tomorrow and see you” I suggest and he nods. I look over at my house and see Mum shuffling about in the window. She’s getting anxious. “I should go”

“Okay, I understand” He tells me, and then gives a little sigh. “I wish I could walk you to the door and kiss you goodnight” Tyger confesses and I run a hand through his hair.

“Someday” I tell him and give him a final kiss “Goodnight”

“Goodnight” He replies, smiling fondly at me.

I climb out of the car and hurry across to my house, because it’s cold in the night. I turn around to see Tyger looking at me and I wave at him. I see a shadowy hand wave back in the dark car.

Smiling, I enter the house and Mum comes out to meet me in the hallway. I except her to interrogate me on why I’m so late, why I’ve been out, where I’ve been out and most importantly why I’ve been out like that.

But I don’t get any of that.

“Vanessa” She begins and immediately I panic.

“What’s wrong? Is everything okay?” I ask her and she shakes her head, and then releases a big sigh. She leads me through into the living room. I try and remove my shoes while I walk but I stumble and giggle. Mum turns around and the smile falls of my face.

Oh God...What if Mum knows about Mr Gallagher and me?

What if Trudy knows about Tyger and me?

Mum makes me sit down on the sofa and she offers me a box. I raise my eyebrow at her. She gestures for me to open it and tentatively I do.

It’s a lot of envelopes. “What are these?” I ask her and she sighs. She sits down beside me on the sofa, which I’m relieved about because it means she will stop pacing back and forth.

“I’d love to be able to tell you that they’ve been under my bed for the last seventeen years Vanessa, but I can’t. They were on the door step when I got home from work” Mum explains and I pick an envelope out of the box and open it.

It’s a new card, with ‘Happy Sixth Birthday’ on it, with a large pink six on it and Disney’s Cinderella. Confused, I open it and it simply reads ‘To Vanessa, have a very happy birthday sweetheart; I’m very sorry I couldn’t be there, lots of love, your Dad’. There are some kisses afterwards.