I Think We're Alone Now

"I'll think about it" I say eventually, and Mum nods at me. She comes to stand beside me and I cross my arms as I look at my Dad. "That's all I'll give you for now"

"I told you she wouldn't" Stephanie says and I look at her, but she rolls her eyes and looks away from me. "I want to go home" She huffs and Gareth sniffles.

"We need to go Matthew" Lynn instructs him and he sighs. "Do not argue with me, Gareth has the specialist's appointment tomorrow and he needs his rest"

"I wish we could stay longer, Vanessa but I'm sure you understand" Dad begins but I shake my head.

"Of course I do. You have better things to do than deal with me, story of your life right? Get out of my house now. If I want to see you, I will contact you. Do not do anything like this again" I tell him.

Awkwardly they shuffle out of the living room. "Under different circumstances I'd say it would be nice to meet you, but-!" Mum hesitates and I open the front door for my 'family'.

"Have a safe trip" I say simply and they make their way outside. Dad turns back around to look at me but I close the door before he can say anything.

I turn around and immediately Mum hugs me. "I'm so sorry sweetheart. I know this hasn't been the easiest time for you at all, what with Shaun and now your Dad... You can do whatever you want to Vanessa; don't let anyone tell you what to do"

I hug her back. I feel tears pricking my eyes but I don't want to cry. I don't know what to do with myself. "Thanks Mum- for everything" I tell her and she chuckles, rubbing my back.

"Don't be daft Vanessa. I'm your Mum and it's my job to look after you" She tells me and I pull back to smile at her.

"I think I'm maybe gonna call Maisie" I suggest and Mum nods. She suggests it sounds like a good idea. Mum wanders into the living room and I hear her cheesy music playing. Smiling to myself, I perch on the stairs and pull my phone out of my pocket.

I dial Maisie's number and it rings a few times before she picks up. "Hey Vanessa" She says a little sadly. I'd ask why but I can hear her parents shouting at each other in the background.

"Are you okay?" I ask her and she sighs.

"I'm the usual. You're home from work early, aren't you?" Maisie asks.

"There was a home emergency. That meaning I came home to find unwanted members of my extended family standing in my living room, simultaneously glaring at me and inviting me to dinner. Plus I think Benjamin and Shaz got it on in the back room, but I can't prove it. It's been a strange day" I conclude and there is silence on the end of the line. "Maisie?"

"No I heard" She tells me "I just don't know what to say. Shall we go serious first?" She suggests and I laugh and agree. "So your Dad showed up?"

"Yeah he did, along with my half siblings Stephanie and Gareth, and my wicked Step-Mother Lynn" I groan "They invited me to dinner and I told them I'd think about it. They said Mum could go as well but they didn't seem to mean it" I point out "Honestly I didn't really believe anything they were saying"

"Are you thinking about going? I mean they made all that effort to see you" Maisie points out and I scoff.

"They barged into my home uninvited after I refused to give my organs to their son, that's all they want still. Can no-one just want to get to know me for me?" I sigh and Maisie contemplates this.

"If they don't want to get to know you they're not worth it" She tells me and then giggles. "But what about the real gossip- what happened with Benjamin and Shaz?" Maisie inquires and I laugh.