Harmonious

Harmonious

"That was amazing!" Mackenzie praises backstage. She leans forwards and hugs me and I almost faint from giddiness. "I need to get my manager to sign you up for the rest of my tour" Mackenzie laughs.

For a second I nervously laugh too, thinking that she's kidding. But as Mackenzie waves at me to go on stage, her manager comes over to me. Callum Buchanan gives me a warm grin.

"Vanessa, you were incredible" He praises me and I thank him. He hands me a glass of water and I take a sip. "So shall we discuss plans for the rest of Mackenzie's tour?"

I spit the water out. "Excuse me?" I say, and I feel a hand on my shoulder. Mum is behind me and she chuckles at my reaction "You want me to open for Mackenzie on the rest of her tour?"

"That's the plan" Callum confirms and I stare at him, slack jawed.

"But she's Mackenzie" I point out "And I'm me, no one even knows who I am. I haven't recorded any singles and I've never got to number one five times like Mackenzie has"

"Yes, that's true. But you've got talent and one day you might have the same career as Mackenzie, and we'd like to think you'd take someone under your wing like that. Plus Mackenzie really likes your music. I swear I heard her singing one of your songs the other day" Callum informs me and my stomach flips.

"Mackenzie was singing my song?!" I ask and try not to squeal and be really embarrassing.

"Well we'd totally love to take you on the tour, am I alright to send you the information later?" Callum asks me and I nod, and he leaves to take a phone call. I notice his pretty assistant is standing nearby and I notice how he loops his arm around her waist as he's talking.

"Congratulations Vanessa! I'm so proud of you!" Mum tells me and gives me a big hug "A tour with Mackenzie! How amazing will that be?"

"And totally achievable now I've finished school!" I comment and I feel a familiar pang in my chest at the mention of school. Because that makes me think about music and that makes me think about...

Don't think about him.

"Shall we go see your friends? They're all so proud of you!" Mum offers and I nod hastily, wanting to escape my own thoughts.

The minute Maisie sees me she flings her arms around me. "Oh my God Vanessa you were so fantastic!" She squeals and Kimmy and Chastity join in so I'm stuck in the middle of their hug.

"Thanks guys!" I laugh and Shaz punches me lightly in the arm, never one for hugging.

"You were awesome-sauce" She praises and I grin. I notice how her hand is firmly in Benjamin's still. He was a bit nervous about coming- not wanting to 'breach professional boundaries' but he's grinning and I can tell he's enjoyed himself.

We laugh and chat as we make our way out of the venue and into the car park. Mackenzie will be performing a full show and I was instructed to go home and get some rest. It seems unlikely with my friends as excited as they are.

"Why doesn't everyone come to our house to celebrate your success tonight?" Mum offers and my friends happily agree.

Rest is definitely out of the window.

Mum gives half my friends a ride home, including Maisie and Wayne. Benjamin agrees to take Shaz, Kimmy and Chastity and meet us at the house.

"Have you heard from him?" Maisie asks me to break the silence in the car. Immediately my insides twist and Mum slides a glance at me from the driver's seat of the car.

"No" I say quickly, and then add "But I didn't expect to"

"I'm sure he'll call" Maisie says quietly and I nod, but she doesn't sound too sure. I don't feel too sure that he will.