A Strange Composition

“That was really amazing, Vanessa” Mr Gallagher tells me, his face rather close to mine but still far away enough to make it look innocent.

We’re both sitting at his desk, which happens to be in the corner of the classroom so it seems all secluded and cosy. Mr Gallagher’s eyes are still looking so blue, and he’s somehow smiling through his eyes.

“You haven’t given a performance like that all year, and the one you’ve just done was a knockout” Mr Gallagher praises and I blush under his comments.

The rest of the class are chattering about this and that. I hear Kimmy laughing in her signature style about something, the sound ringing throughout the classroom.

I cross my legs, and keep my eyes locked on Mr Gallagher’s. “So the song choice was a good idea?” I say playfully, pleased with how well my plan to impress Mr Gallagher is working. I only wish Shaun could witness all of this.

He’d be spitting with rage.

“A brilliant idea, you need to be doing more songs like that!” Mr Gallagher insists “I was a little sceptical when you said you were doing ‘Our Song’ because you have so much potential but I’m so glad you decided to change! You were fantastic!”

I smile, and tuck a strand of hair behind my ear, trying to ignore how furiously I’m blushing due to Mr Gallagher’s praise. No-one beside my Mum and Maisie (both biased) has told me that I’m fantastic. I really love singing and performing, and it makes me overly pleased to be praised by my Music teacher.

“Thank you Sir that means a lot” I tell him, and he beams at me. But then his smile falls back into that wolfish grin he seems to own and I can’t help but let a cheeky small on my face.

I cross my legs the other way, and I pretend to ignore the way Mr Gallagher watches my every move. My breathing is heavy, and I inhale his scent.

He smells so good. His smell is intoxicating and I’m so surprised I haven’t noticed before now but I’ve never been this close to him. And with the way he’s making my breath hitch I realise why it was probably for the best that I hadn’t.

“Any time” He grins, and I stand to my feet, expecting him to want to move on and continue teaching the lesson. But he doesn’t. He reaches for my wrist to pull me back down but his hand never makes contact.

It’s forbidden for a teacher to touch a student, and vice versa.

Which is a shame; because something tells me that I’d have really like his fingers to have made contact with my skin. I roll my eyes.

What am I doing? This is Mr Gallagher, why am I getting all worked up? Besides, unlike Shaun, I want to take time to fully get over our relationship. Plus I’m still hurt from Shaun’s betrayal and that’s the only reason that I’m thinking about Mr Gallagher like this.

At least that’s what I tell myself.

“I still need to talk to you about something Vanessa” Mr Gallagher says, and clears his throat “You are required in this course to do a duet and you were originally paired with Shaun-!” Mr Gallagher pauses and I swear I see a flash of anger in his eyes.

He looks quite sexy when he’s mad, I decide. I bite my lip.

“-But now he’s left us, you are partner-less, and the class has an odd number. You cannot work with another student in the class-!” Mr Gallagher informs me, which immediately dashes all hopes of me working with Maisie for this “-Because a student is not allowed to perform twice”