That Short Skirt

That Short Skirt

Shaun hated Mr Gallagher.

I don't know why, but something about Mr Gallagher just seemed to rub Shaun up the wrong way. He always left his lesson grumbling and complaining about something, and he would always mouth off at him if Mr Gallagher dared ask him anything.

I, on the other hand, chose to stay quiet to avoid getting into trouble, either with Mr Gallagher or with Shaun.

I'd sit with Maisie, my oldest and best friend, and silently work our way through the lesson until it was safe to emerge from the trenches because Mr Gallagher and Shaun were done firing bullets at one another.

Then afterwards Shaun would loop his arm around my waist, give me a kiss on the cheek so I giggled and Shaun, Maisie and I would make our way to our next lesson.

But then things changed.

Shaun moved away, hundreds of miles from England to Wales because of his parent’s new jobs. He didn't want to go but they made him, and he said leaving me was the hardest thing he ever had to do.

I cried when he moved away.

And I've been crying for weeks now, but Shaun's been calling me almost every day. Although, his calls are getting less frequent. Naturally he's at a new school and is bound to make new friends but we're drifting apart faster than I would have liked.

"He said he'd call at five Maisie, and he hasn't yet" I worry to her, and she blinks her brown eyes at me and smiles.

"He will Nessa, don't worry" She smiles, and I smile back at the use of my nickname. My full name is Vanessa, which my Mum calls me, Maisie calls me Nessa, and Shaun calls me Nessy, which is my favourite nickname, even if I do sometimes feel like the Loch Ness Monster.

"Are you doing that homework for Mr Gallagher?" I ask her, pointing to the books and paper sheets she has spread out on my bed. Maisie nods.

"Yeah, it's okay, I kind of get it" She comments, biting her lip, and I chuckle.

"It's only since Shaun left I started doing Mr Gallagher's homework properly" I laugh, and Maisie grins.

Mr Gallagher is our music teacher, and as much as my acoustic guitar and I are attached at the heart, I haven’t always put effort into his lessons. Usually I try and avoid talking to him, and he never asks me questions so I don’t have to. And the performances I’ve given in his lessons have been adequate, I guess, but they’re nothing compared to the ground rumbling concert I give in the privacy of my own bedroom.

Suddenly my phone bursts into song and I beam at Maisie, grabbing my phone and answering it.

"Shaun!" I greet and I hear him murmuring something to someone "Are you okay? Are you busy or something?" I inquire. I’ve been waiting for him to call all day; I’d hate to not be able to talk to him. We might not still be together but it’s not because we don’t love each other, it’s because of the distance between us.

We’re teenagers- we can’t expect something like a long distance relationship that to work properly and leave us both satisfied. Too many hormones in the way, I think.

"Kind of..." He begins and I feel my stomach beginning to sink. I shouldn't expect him to still be calling me. Maybe I misread the situation; maybe breaking up means that he wants to move on.

I mean I love him, and I know he loves me but we both decided that with him moving so far away that it would be better for us to end our relationship of almost a year.

"You could always call me later?" I suggest sadly, and I see Maisie has taken notice and has stopped doing her homework to look at me. She mouths to ask me if I'm okay and I shrug, not knowing what's happening.

"Yeah..." Shaun begins, but he trails off and I swear he's murmuring to the person again. He didn’t tell me he was going to have friends round. Not that he has to, but I’ve been texting me all day and he never mentioned it.

"Shaun if you have friends over its fine" I tell him, although I’m lying and my heart is pounding and I'm dreading that his friend is female.

"I dunno Nes..." There is more muttering. It slips my mind that he’s called me ‘Nes’ and not ‘Nessy’. Maisie raises her eyebrows at me and I shrug and bite my lip. Maisie moves over to my side of the bed and places her ear to the phone.