A Little Less Conversation

“Whoa, are you tripping?” Shaz asks me the following day at work after I’ve told her about Callum Buchanan, the manager of Mackenzie the singer. “He wants you to audition?”

“No, it really happened! I cannot believe it!” I tell Shaz. We’re at work on a slight break, even though we’re not mean to be on a break for another hour. But Shaz and Benjamin have been at each other’s throats a lot today and it’s a lot to handle after a long day at school.

I mean I didn’t even get to see Mr Gallagher.

Although I did get to dress up as him for a photograph, and I still have hold of his tie. It’s in my bag (I forgot to take it out yesterday) in the back room, and I feel it will make an excellent addition to my bedroom. But I’ll have to hide it from my Mum.

And possibly from Tyger too, who might want it back.

“That’s whack” Shaz comments. She’s currently restacking the shelves, placing one product on the shelves every five minutes. Aside from the fact she’s completely disregarding Benjamin’s instructions to have them all done within ten minutes, she’s not even putting them on the right shelves.

But she doesn’t care, so it’s fine.

“I’m so excited. I called and left a message today because no one picked up, but the machine said someone would call me back. I’m waiting for a call, but I don’t know if one will come. This might just be a hoax” I worry and Shaz shakes her head.

“No way, Buchanan the manan knows exactly what he’s cooking with you, lil onion” Shaz tells me and I’m about to ask why I’m suddenly an onion before she continues “What did your Mum say?”

“She was thrilled” I laugh “I don’t expect anything from the modelling and she wasn’t sure about it but this was more than either of us could have hoped for. I mean, imagine if I even got to meet Mackenzie.  I mean that would be so amazing” I swoon.

Our conversation is interrupted though when Benjamin comes marching over to us, straightening his clip on tie as he does so. Shaz calls him a swear word, not even bothering to conceal it under her breath.

“Sharon, you’re not even stacking those and when you are you’re not doing them properly” Benjamin scolds and Shaz begins investigating her nails instead of listening to him. She lets out a loud sigh. “Sharon, I’m warning you”

“You stack them, then” Shaz fires back at him, not taking her eyes away from her nails, which are painted black and quite chewed.

“I am the Assistant Manager, Sharon. Maybe if you put some effort in you could get promoted too” Benjamin offers and Shaz glares at him.

“I’m never going to get promoted working for an embryo like you” Shaz growls at him and I can see Benjamin becoming frustrated. “Besides, why don’t you get Maisie to stack them for you?” Shaz suggests to him with a snarl.