Day Thirty-Seven

*~*~* Cate *~*~*

So, we’re down to the last store on our list, and I’m hoping that it’s lucky number seven for Libby, otherwise they’re going to have to cart me off to an asylum at this rate. My mental wellbeing can’t take any more of this shopping nonsense.

We had spent most of the morning trudging around stores five and six, trying on more dresses today than we had yesterday, and Anna and I were over being the supportive sisters/bridesmaids. I love Libby, honestly, but she needs to get a grip. I get that choosing your wedding gown is extremely important, but it shouldn’t take this long. From how the movies make it out to be, a bride sees a dress and knows that that is the one. Shouldn’t it be like that in reality, too?

“I don’t like any of them,” Libby whined yet again. I take in a deep breath and try not to yell at my sister. She looks down at the delicate gown that shows off her body perfectly and sighs heavily. “This was the only one that I thought I might like. What do we do now?”

Anna grumbled something under her breath, but no one really understood it perfectly. She looked up when the room went quiet and said, “What?”

Libby frowns. “You could be a little more supportive, you know?”

“I am being supportive,” Anna smiles sweetly as she holds out her cell for Libby to read the message on the screen. “I’ve set up an appointment for you at Saks’ Bridal Salon and I will not be leaving that damned store until we find you your perfect dress. Understand?”

Mom and Vivian looked horrified by the thought of possibly buying a dress from Saks, but Anna was determined. Libby eventually gave in and went to change out of the gown and back into her skinny jeans and heavy knit sweater. She was only a few weeks into her pregnancy, and still a little ways off being into her second trimester, but Libby was convinced her stomach was huge. I looked at her and thought, Hell, I must be having quintuplets if Libby thinks her stomach I huge. Seriously, she was tiny, and her flat stomach could rival Gwen Stefani.

Today, we were riding in cabs again. Anna had gotten a taste for hailing them down and was a pro at getting them to stop for her. Unlike yesterday where Libby rode with Mom and Vivian, Anna insisted she came with us. Mom tried to protest, but Anna was tenacious and won the argument. I slid into the back seat first and Anna trapped Libby between us. After telling the cab driver where we were going, Anna pulled up another page on her cell and started showing Libby photos of dresses. Whenever Libby drooled over a dress, Anna pinned it onto a Pinterest board and smiled and nodded supportively.

“The Salon consultant and I are sharing a Pinterest board,” Anna announces when Libby questioned why she kept pinning pictures. “We’ve got to get across the City and by the time we get there Laura, the consultant, should have pulled a few gowns that she think you might like based on these pictures.”

Libby looked impressed by Anna’s dedication. “I knew you were the best woman for the maid of honor job.”

I wasn’t offended by the comment, because if I’m being honest, of the three of us, Anna was the most level headed. Libby used to be too impulsive but as she grew older she took more and more time thinking things over which is why, with only a week before her wedding, she was still without a gown. Meanwhile, I was too quiet and didn’t know how to assert myself.