Day Eighteen

*~*~* Cate *~*~*

“Wake her up,” I hear someone whisper.

“I’m not waking her up,” another voice says incredulously. “You wake her up”

“She’ll maul me to death,” the first voice counters. “You do it.”

“What so she can maul me instead?” The other one asks. “No thanks. I have a wife and kid to think about.”

“Technically you’re not married yet,” Sawyer’s familiar voice points out. “And you kid hasn’t been born.”

“Then I think I’d like to stay alive so I can get married,” David’s voice become louder. “And see my child coming in to the word. Now, man up and wake Cate.”

I throw the covers from over my head and stare at the two men who are stood hovering over me. They both step away when they see I’m awake and I’m pretty sure Sawyer hid behind David and pushed my future brother-in-law closer to me.

“Why are you waking me at nine thirty am?” I ask neither in particular. When I don’t get an answer, I get up and make my way past them and into the bathroom.  For some stupid reason I thought that they might have gone by the time I came back out, but they were both stood in the same spot. “Seriously, what do you want?”

Sawyer pushes David forward, but David just spins and runs behind Sawyer and pushes him towards me instead. Both men know that I am not a morning person, and if they had just let me sleep a little longer, they wouldn’t have to be so terrified of me right now.

TJ didn’t bring me home until two am, and I was a little unsteady on my feet from all the alcohol David and Sawyer kept giving me. My head was slightly fuzzy this morning and I could feel the blood pumping around my brain. It was a weird sensation… but then again, that could just be the start of a pounding headache.

“Um…” Sawyer says carefully. He looks to David for moral support, but David’s more fixated with my carpet than the conversation. “Well, here’s the thing. We kinda lied to your mom and now we need you to help us get out of the bind.”

I laugh. These two were idiots, but they were my kind of idiots. Sawyer always thought up some stupid idea that David would always back, but then once they’d dug themselves a huge hole, the plan never looked so good anymore. I’d lost count of the idiotic things these two had gotten themselves into. For two people who hadn’t met until three years ago, David and Sawyer were two peas in a pod when it came to finding themselves in hot water.

“What did you do?” I ask with a roll of my eye as I walked to the iPod docking station and turned on some morning music to fill my room. If you could class Dead Kennedys as morning music. “And where do I fit in to the whole plan?”

“You’d be proud, Cate,” Sawyer beams. I highly doubt I’d be ‘proud’ but I want to hear the plan nonetheless. “Ok, so, your mom and Libby and Anna want to go on this couples excursion thing that may or may not involve a drive up to Napa.