23:58

“What if when we leave here, you won’t like me?” I start to run through all the things that could go wrong between us.

“Not possible,” his voice doesn’t falter as he gets a reprieve. “I love you.”

“What if in a week you meet someone else?” I try this angle. “Someone better?”

“Not possible.”

"What if you realize that this has been a huge mistake?”

I knew his answer before he said it. “Not possible.”

“What if your friends don’t like me?” I can just imagine this happening. Everyone thinks I’m a freak, and no guy wants his best friend dating a freak.

“Not possible, Catherine.”

Damn it, he is stubborn.

“What if…” I stop, not knowing what else I can say. Whatever would follow would only be shrugged aside by another ‘not possible’.

Theo steps closer to me, his body pressing up against me so that I have nowhere to run and hide.

“My turn,” he whispers. “What if you leave here, and tomorrow you’ll be full of regret?”

I’d cry.

“What if in a few years’ time, you look back on this moment, and think ‘I was wrong’?”

I’d cry.

“What if I am the right guy for you?”

I’d cry.

Tears of happiness, of course.

“What if you never feel this,” he gulps, “with anyone else?”

Now it was my turn to gulp, and I had to admit, he had me stuck on this one. I’d been so wary of love, and my experience with Adam hadn’t helped a single bit, but Theo had waltzed into my life and had been the game-changer. I’d let my guard down with him and I had let him in my head and my heart. Strange as it was, this was the defining moment in my life and the thought of walking away from it all had me terrified. Then came the epiphany. Theo was a once-in-a-life-time.

“What if this is it?” He moves closer still, our lips brushing against each other, sending tingles down my spine and just about everywhere else too. “What if this is real? What if we are meant to be together? What if…?”

Oh, crap.