Day Fifteen

*~*~* Cate *~*~*

I am officially screwed.

Like seriously screwed.

“Cate, stop knocking your head on the table like that,” Colton chastises me from across the lunch table. I look up at him with what I think may be puppy dog eyes, but he just frowns down at me. “Did you get brain damage already? You look weird.”

Guess I don’t carry the puppy dog look as well as I thought I did. I groan and drop my head against the table again, this time not even bothering to hide the groan that escapes my lips. I keep my face hidden with my hair curtaining around me and wish that I was anywhere else but here.

Where would I go? I like to play this game sometimes called Anywhere But Here, and it helped me relax to picture myself far away from the madness of my real world. Most of the time I chose places with white, sandy beaches because what’s more relaxing than Paradise? Today, though, no matter how hard I tried, I kept picturing myself in Hell. A red, fiery Hell.

“Just out of curiosity Kit Kat,” Colton spoke addressing me by the nickname he had for me. “Why are you banging your head against the table?”

“Because I am screwed,” I grumble, before bringing my chin to rest on my arms that were crossed on the table in front of me. When Colton arches an eyebrow at me, I sigh. “I just got partnered up in Physics, and I have to work with him.”

I hiss out the last word and look around the cafeteria until I find the boy I’m talking about.

“Oh, him,” Colton nods understandingly, but the tone of his voice tells me he’s mocking me. I shoot Colton a death glare, but he just shrugs it off. “Ok, so you’re partnered with Chris Theoris. What’s the big deal?”

What’s the big deal? Seriously, guys can sometimes be really stupid. The big deal, I thought, was pretty obvious. I hadn’t spoken to Chris properly since last Saturday, and a part of me didn’t want to speak to him. He treated me like I was an idiot at his rugby game and there was nothing I hated more than boys thinking that I was stupid just because I was a girl. I have a 4.8 GPA for God sake. Boys suck.

“Kit Kat,” Colton levelled his eyes on me and I couldn’t help but meet his gaze. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“I just…” I sigh and lean back in my chair, covering my eyes with my arms. “He’s just… you know?”

Oh, absolutely,” Colton’s tone is dripping with sarcasm. “But let’s pretend for a second that I’m not fluent in the language of ‘Just’ and how about you explain it to me.”

“He’s not the guy I thought he was,” I shrug my shoulder and look across the cafeteria where Chris is sat. “There’s this guy that I’m kinda in love with, and I was hoping that Chris… but he’s not. And now I’m like…”

Colton holds up his hand to stop my ramblings. “I have no idea what you just said,” he tells me with a confused look across his face. “All I really understood is that you don’t seem that into him.”