Day Forty-Four

*~*~* Cate *~*~*

I’ve always wished that I was a summer baby, and that way I would never have to celebrate my birthday during term time. My mom never let me skive days off school when it was my birthday and today was no different. I dressed- again, in an outfit that wasn’t really the old me, but was certainly the new me- made my way down to the kitchen area, grunted a ‘hello’ to my parents and Libby, then headed out to the car.

TJ wasn’t coming in to school today- something about arranging a surprise for my birthday. I told him that I hated surprises, but he assured me that I’d like this one. Seeing his excited face, I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I really despised surprises. With a passion, I hated them.

I tried to get him to tell me what he was up to, but he just tapped the side of his nose and told me to mind my own business. I tried to ask his friends what was going on, but they seemed genuinely clueless as to what TJ had planned. Not even Genevieve could clue me in.

I’d been banging my head against an imaginary brick wall all morning trying to work out what was going on, but I kept giving myself a headache, so I tried to concentrate on the work on the board instead. The morning soon flew by and it was nearing lunch. I made my way to my locker and spun in the code, my eyes widening when I saw that my locker was filled with red rose petals falling like confetti to the ground.

“What the…?” My voice trailed off as I took in what was in front of me. Colton was sat on the window ledge where I’d usually see TJ sitting, and he laughed when he saw how many petals there were. “Is this him?”

Colton shrugged. “I’m not sure,” he said uncertainly. “If it is, then it’s a soppy side of him none of us have ever seen.”

I spotted a note amongst the petals, my name written in a neat scrawl on the front. I took out the small envelope and opened it, removing a cream card that featured a note in cursive handwriting. I smiled as I saw what was written.

Today we celebrate the birth

Of the most beautiful woman on Earth.

I am one lucky SOB

Because she’s the girl with me.

Without her I am lost,

And I’ll love her forever, no matter the cost.

Meet me tonight at eight,

And don’t be late, Cate.

Remember that roses are red and violets are blue,

But my life wouldn’t be complete without you.

TJ

“Yeah, he’s definitely whipped,” Colton says from over my shoulder. “And since when can the guy rhyme?”

I smiled and placed the note back into its envelope carefully before tucking it into the front page of the English book we were currently studying. I placed it into my satchel and then followed Colton to the cafeteria. As soon as we walked in a deathly silence filled the room and I frowned. Everyone had their gaze set on me and I wasn’t sure what was going on.

“Colton?” I squeaked out his name. Suddenly his hand went around my shoulder and he navigated our way to my old table at the back of the cafeteria. When he pushed me down into my seat, I looked up at him. “What’s going on?”

“I’m not sure,” he muttered as he scanned the room. When his eyes fell on Mallory Jennings, he waved her over. “Mal, what’s going on?”

Mallory stole a quick glance at me, before she turned back to Colton. “You haven’t heard?” When Colton shook his head, Mallory smiled evilly, her hands rubbing together in glee. “There’s a billboard up in town saying that Adam Dayton had a STD, and there’s a message underneath telling girls to stay away from him.”