Day One

“You met someone?” Georgie almost spat out the soda she was drinking. Her eyes were wide with pride and she looked genuinely happy for me. I guess she skimmed over the part where I said that I had no idea who he was, and the only thing I knew of him was that his name was Theo and that he was an amazing kisser. “Oh, my God, Cate. This is great news.”

I scoffed. It really wasn’t. It was torture knowing that there was a boy out roaming the streets carrying my heart in his hand, blindly trying to find me while I was searching for him. What part of this scenario was ‘great’?

“You know what I mean,” Georgie rolled her eyes at me. “You like a boy. A boy likes you. On any other planet this would be amazing. I get that you don’t know him, in a ‘Oh, hey’ in the hallway kind of way but from the sound of it, you two got quite… intimate?”

Georgie Sanderson had been my best friend since I could remember. For years she had been willing me to come out from the rock I had been living under and was determined to show me that high school could be a good experience. If it hadn’t been for her I would never have ended up at the party, I would never have run into the closet and I would never have met Theo. There were many things in my life that I had to be thankful to Georgie for, this just being the last in a long, ever growing list. The first being that she took a chance on me and she became my best friend.

“Georgie?” I frown as I look up at my best friend. “Do you think I’m crazy?”

“Absolutely,” she answers without even taking the time to consider my question. “You took a chance- a leap of faith, as you called it- and for you, that’s huge. You are absolutely crazy for doing it. I’m so proud of you!”

Georgie launched herself at me and pulled me into a hug from across the table.

We were sitting in a diner in downtown Hastings waiting for Georgie’s date to turn up. Since the party last night, she had been texting Greyson Parker non-stop. Grayson was one of the most popular guys at Capshaw Academy and had been engaged in a yearlong flirtation with Georgie. I knew she’d liked him for just as long as he had liked her, but Greyson Parker was known for his reputation, and no matter how confident Georgie Sanderson was, she wasn’t about to stand to be humiliated by a boy like him. She told him six months ago that if he was serious about her, then he would have to prove himself by not dating any other girl.

I’d been quite impressed by Greyson. The rumors of his philandering ways died down in the weeks since he’d been given the ultimatum by Georgie and he’d been working hard to prove himself to be a gentleman by spurning the advances of any girl that came within a yard of him. He was even trying to make an effort to befriend me, starting with last night when he was constantly talking to me while practically ignoring Georgie. I’d told him that while his intentions to get along with his potential girlfriend’s BFF were good, he should also go and make Georgie see that he’d proved himself. It wasn’t all that selfless of me either, because as soon as Greyson had disappeared to Georgie’s side it gave me more time to search out Theo.

I know we had agreed to let fate play Cupid but I couldn’t help but want to give fate a helping hand. In the thirty minutes that I was holed up in that closet with Theo, I had completely and madly fallen for him. I hadn’t planned on it, but when a guy still asserts that he loves you despite knowing that you are a freak, it was hard not to fall for him too. I mean, how many guys would sit there with you while you had a panic attack and still love you?