23:37

“Yes,” I whisper as if it’s all a huge secret, which I guess it is. “What are you doing to me?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Theo mumbles.

I have never, ever in my life spoken so openly with anyone before. Not even Georgie and I should at least be myself with my best friend. Only, I’m scared- no, terrified- that she won’t like me once she knows who I am deep down inside. I’ve built up this alter-ego that takes my place when I’m with her, and I become someone so unlike me. I pretend that I like going to all the sports games she drags me to. I tell her I like the dance music she plays on a loop whenever I’m in her car. I dress like her when we go out with her friends, even though I know that I would much rather choose comfort over fashion.

If she knew that I hated sports, that I like indie music and that jeans and a t-shirt is the pinnacle of my fashion aspirations, would Georgie still be my friend?

“Ok, Catherine.” Damn it, I love the way he says my name all soft and silky. “How about we make a promise?”

“A promise?” That doesn’t sound like a good plan. Plus, I suck at keeping promises.

“Yeah. You know what a promise is, right?” He asks as if I’m a child, but I still hear a slight laughter in his voice. I punch his arm playfully and roll my eyes. “How about, for the next twenty-three minutes, we just be ourselves. Cards on the table. Take it or leave it?”

“I don’t like the sound of that,” I protest quickly. “It scares me to death.”

“Me too,” Theo takes my hand in his and squeezes it, sending shivers down my spine. “But I don’t know you, and you don’t know me. As long as we leave this closet never knowing who the other person is, where’s the harm?”

Logic. I hate it when men start to use logic because it’s always better than anything any woman can come up with. I would never have thought to think of that idea. Anonymity.

“Do you go to Capshaw Academy?” I wonder aloud before even think of agreeing to this rather barbaric idea.

“Yeah,” Theo answers as he starts to draw patterns on the back of my hand that he still holds. “I’m a senior. From the way you asked that question, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that you go there too.”

“How did I ask the question?”

“With sheer panic and wariness,” he automatically answers. He knows me too well already, so giving into this plan is too close for me. “Are you in or not?”

If Theo is a senior at Capshaw Academy, then I will probably run into him at some point during the year and that terrifies me. He’s going to be walking around, knowing everything about me. On the other hand, I doubt I run in the same circles as he does so after tonight I will ever have to deal with Theo again. Girl logic. Completely useless.

“Fine,” I acquiesce. “I’m in. You can start.”