Day Fourty-Two

*~*~* Cate *~*~*

I’ve embraced being a girl this week, but when Libby and Mom cornered me in the kitchen this morning and told me about all the hair and beauty appointments coming up before Saturday, I decided that being a girl was a kind of torture. Surely no one needs to be plucked, waxed, painted and styled to within an inch of their lives.

Whether I liked it or not, I was facing three days’ worth of torture that I couldn’t get out of. Today was my appointment with the manicurist, tomorrow I had the pleasure of going to get my eyebrows waxed and plucked, Friday was thankfully clear, and then on Saturday Libby, Anna and I were being made up by a team of make-up artists and hair stylist ready for the wedding.

I had kept out of all the wedding planning for as much as I could and there were very few details that I was privileged to know about so the least I could do was get to the appointment on time, but just the thought of going had me running in the opposite direction.

I threw myself into school today as a means to distract myself. People were still curious about my sudden change in appearance, but no one had come up to me as of yet and asked me directly why I had changed. I got a few admiring glances for my colored skinny jeans, black top and heels combination, but apart from the stares, the day went on as most days do.

Classes kept me occupied enough that I didn’t have to think about Georgie or Adam, and I hadn’t passed them in the hallways yet. I got the sense that they were both avoiding me and I couldn’t stop myself from smiling at this victory. I’m sure that I had hurt their egos on Monday by not playing into their trap and being forced into submission, but I was done being that girl that would roll over and be stepped on. No, I was through with that crap.

I was busy stacking my morning books into my locker when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I glanced sideways and sighed when I saw Chris Theoris standing next to me, his gaze focused on my locker door to the side of my eyes.

“Can I help you?” I asked in a monotone voice.

Even though Chris had behaved like an ass when he realized that I wasn’t interested in him, I didn’t want there to be any bad blood between us. Yeah, he knocked me over and sprained my wrist, but that healed so it was time to build a bridge and get over it. Shit happens, but that wasn’t an excuse for me to be rude to him.

“I… um…” Chris looked a little lost for words and he scratched the back of his head awkwardly before he finally sighed heavily and spoke quickly. “I wanted to apologize for being a jerk to you, Cate. You didn’t deserve any of that, and I’m sorry. Please forgive me?”

“Forgiven,” I tell him and shoot him a slight smile. He stared at me like I was a stranger and shook his head. I had to laugh at his lost look. “I’ve recently made a decision not to hold any grudges, so you are forgiven. Anyway, if I’m being honest, I probably led you on so half of this is my fault.”

Chris nodded slightly. “You were never interested in me, were you?” I hesitated until Christ said, “It’s ok to be honest with me.”

I nod once and then shake my head in his direction. “I’m sorry, Chris, but you’re right. You see, there was this guy at New Year’s Eve and his name was Theo, but I don’t know anyone by that name. Georgie thought that it might be you because-”

“Of my last name?” Chris nodded in understanding. “Not to burst your bubble but that wasn’t me. But now you’ve found him and that’s great. I wish you the best, I really do.”

I frown. “But I haven’t found him.”

“Oh,” Chris stands up straighter and clutches his book close to his chest as a red tinge flushes his cheeks. “I thought… You and TJ look pretty cozy, so I just assumed that…”