Chapter 32

Alec:

Alec rushed out of the Institute doors, with Jace and Clary in tow. They had decided to keep their team small, and consistent of all types of Downworlders. He knew that Valentine would let it be known that the head agents had been captured soon, and would be expecting a rush of agents to the Seelie courts. But, if they keep their numbers small, and hopefully get in the Seelie courts undetected before Valentine was expecting any agents, they would have a surprise advantage.

"Izzy will meet us at the entrance of the courts, but we need more agents first." Alec's first stop was Magnus' apartment. They hadn't spoken since their breakup, but Alec knew if he explained the situation to him, he would come with them. At least, he hoped.

He banged on the doors of Magnus' apartment, and Magnus' voice went through the intercom. "Would you stop knocking on my door so violently? There's no need for that."

"Uh, sorry. Look, I need to talk to you, it's extremely important. It has to do with the meeting the head agents had tonight."

There was silence on Magnus' end. Then, he opened the door. "What do you want?"

"I have reason to believe the head agents' meeting has been infiltrated by Valentine, and they are being taken to the Seelie courts as we speak."

Magnus nodded. "Let me get ready, I'll call Catarina. She'll want to come too."

"Wait, you just..believe me?"

"I suspected this sort of thing might happen. And besides, I trust you, Alec."

Alec smiled. "Th-thank you."

"You guys can come in, I'll only be a minute."

The Clave agents went inside the apartment and stood around in Magnus' living room. He had changed the decor since Alec had been there. It now looked like a modern Victorian home, with modern technology mixed in with the ancient furniture and designs. Magnus came in after a few minutes, on the phone with Catarina.

"Where do you want Cat to meet us?"

"At the Seelie court entrance. Oh, and we're trying to keep our team small, so ask her not to invite anyone else."

Magnus relayed the information to Catarina, and they hung up. "I'm ready if you all are."

***

Alec's next stop was the werewolves. He knew their loyalty to their head agent would convince them to join them, even if they didn't like it. He got to their agency and opened the doors. The werewolf agents looked at them with disdain, and Alec almost regretted stepping through the doors at all. An agent walked up to them with her arms crossed over her chest.

"What do you want?"

"I'd like to speak to this agency's second." The werewolves were more aggressive than any other agency, and so they appointed second and third head agents to take over in their place, should anything happen.

"I'll go get him. Make yourselves uncomfortable," she sneered, then walked off. Alec looked at the agents with him. Jace was the only one who didn't already look uncomfortable. Instead, he looked around the agency with interest.

"Jace, don't."

"What? I haven't done anything."

"Yeah, yet. We need as many agencies on our side as possible. So, please don't do anything that'll make them change their minds about helping us."

"They haven't said they were helping us yet," Magnus said.

"Well, they didn't immediately make us leave, so that makes me hopeful, at least."