Chapter 38

"Ooh, about Magnus? Did something happen between the two of you?" Izzy asked, smiling.

"Well, I told him today I wanted to try again at our relationship. I told him I wouldn't hide it like last time. I thought that was what he wanted to hear. But then, he said he needed time to think."

"Well, if I were to guess, I'd say that either one, he's gotten bored of you, which I doubt. Or two, he's afraid your relationship will be like the last time."

"But I told him-"

"Telling and doing are two different things. Show him you're not afraid of your relationship anymore."

"But how would I do that?"

"I have a couple ideas, actually." Izzy said, and began to grin.

***

"Are you sure this is gonna work?" Alec asked.

"I'm positive. When you're through, Magnus will remember that he's head over heels in love with you."

Alec cracked a smile. "I don't know about all that." Alec was wearing a dark blue button up shirt and tight black jeans. He didn't like the outfit, but Izzy insisted the look was hot. It was better than the other option of clothing she'd picked out, anyway.

Izzy had picked out an outfit for the inter-agency celebration taking place among the Downworlders and Shadowhunters for their victory against the Circle. Izzy was sure Magnus would be there, and thought it would be a great opportunity to concoct her huge plan. Alec was extremely nervous about it, and was with Izzy while she was getting ready to keep himself from backing down. Every now and then, Izzy would look at him, smile, and say something like, "This is going to be so cute!" It was great encouragement.

Once Izzy was finally done, she grabbed his arm and squeezed. "Let's go!" She took off, and Alec followed close behind. Izzy had talked to Robert and Maryse about their past, and although Izzy wasn't mad at them anymore, they weren't exactly on speaking terms. Still, it was better than nothing.

They made it to the main hall, and Izzy screamed in delight. She ran toward a figure who Alec soon realized was Meliorn. She hugged him tight while exclaiming, "What are you doing here?"

"Your father didn't tell you? He reached out to me and told me you would like to be accompanied by me to the celebration tonight. I was happy to oblige."

"Oh, Meliorn." She hugged him again. "Well, let's go!" She stayed holding onto his waist as they walked away.

The Seelie Queen had miraculously made amends with the Clave in time for the celebration, and thus the Seelies were allowed to come. Izzy was ecstatic, and Alec knew she was doubly so now. Alec saw Robert in a corner, smiling. He walked over to him.

"That was very sweet of you."

"Yes, well, building back our relationship with the Seelies is important. And besides, I knew it would make her happy, and she definitely needs some after all the pain I've caused."

"Well, it was definitely a step in the right direction."

Robert takes a good look at Alec. "Izzy dressed you, didn't she?"

"You could tell?"

"Izzy has her taste. Besides, you aren't wearing all black. That was a bit of a giveaway."

Alec smiled and looked down. "Well, I should be going."

"Oh yes, I'm only waiting on your mother now, and then we'll be on our way too."

"See you later, Dad." Alec left the Institute and walked to Central Park, the venue for the party. It was in the middle of a Seelie garden, and the place was alight with magic and joy.

All the agents ambled about the place, talking to one another cheerfully. There was a bit of discomfort in some, but no hatred. It really was a special occasion. Alec found Clary talking with Luke, who had a huge smile on his face. Alec had heard him speak passionately about the agencies working together like this, so he knew he was glad to see something like this.

Simon was with Raphael, talking rapidly about something that Raphael seemed to actually be paying attention to. Alec wondered how he did it.

Then he saw Jonah. He was by himself, surveying the crowd as if he were looking for someone. Alec considered going up to him and having some small talk, but that wasn't really his thing. Maybe he could point him in the direction of Simon. They seemed like they were friends.

"Uh, Jonah?"  Jonah looked at Alec with a bit of surprise.  "That is your name, right?"

Jonah nodded.

"Hey, thank you for the help in the fight against Valentine. It is greatly appreciated. I don't think we could have done it without you."

Jonah shrugged. "Just doing my job as a Clave agent."

"Hey, um, I saw Simon just a minute ago. I'm sure he'd be happy to see you."

"Oh, thanks for letting me know, I'll definitely go talk to him in a minute." Jonah smiled at Alec.

"Alright, well, I'll see you around." Alec left Jonah and walked around a bit more.

Izzy was with Meliorn. She probably hadn't laid her eyes off him since they arrived. They were talking with another Seelie agent that Alec didn't know. It might not have been for the right reason, but Alec was glad Robert had done this for Izzy. It gave him hope that maybe one day his father would turn around.

He saw a few more friendly faces, including the werewolves Maia and Alaric, and the vampire Camille. He even saw Catarina of the warlocks. But, he had yet to find Magnus. Or Jace, for that matter. He wondered where the two of them were.

He ended up circling around and finding Jace with Clary, but he still hadn't found Magnus. He had expected him to be at the center of a party like this. Maybe he hadn't come after all?

Alec went to go get a drink, and that is where Alec saw him. He wasn't at the drinks table but he was close by, conversing with some Downworlders Alec didn't know, and being his joyful self. He had a spark in his eyes that Alec normally associated with trouble, but good trouble nonetheless.

Alec couldn't help but smile watching him. It was while he was doing this that Izzy came to stand beside him. "I think it's time," she whispered.

"But he looks so happy now, with his friends."

"You'll only make him happier." Izzy assured him.

Alec took a deep breath and began to walk towards Magnus. Magnus saw him coming, and he noticed the smile on his face faltered for just a second, but it was enough for Alec to notice. Maybe I should just forget it, he thought. But he knew he had to do this.

"Hey, Magnus" Alec said.

"Alexander," Magnus replied with a small bow of his head, "Are  you enjoying the festivities?"

"Well, not really, but I'm glad everyone else is enjoying them."

Magnus gave him a small smile. "Well, is there something you wanted to talk about?"

"Ah, yes, actually. I just wanted to say that I know you don't know if things will be able to work out between us, and I've told you that I will do my part. So now, I'm going to show you."

Magnus raised an eyebrow, and then Alec leaned in, and kissed him. Magnus was shocked, but the shock was quickly replaced by desire as he kissed him back. Alec wrapped his arms around Magnus and pulled him tight, as if to say I'm not letting you go.

Alec felt as if he had eyes on him, but he didn't care. He just wanted to be in this moment, with Magnus, nowhere else. Alec loosened his grip on Magnus and stepped back. He took Magnus' hands into his own, and said, "Magnus, will you be my boyfriend?"

This time, Magnus smiled and nodded. "Yes. Yes, Alexander." Alec hugged Magnus, he couldn't stop smiling. He knew now he had made the right decision. And this time it would be different. That was a promise to Magnus, but also a promise to himself.