Chapter 20

Jonah ended up going to the bar with Simon, and as much as he hated to admit it, he enjoyed himself. Maybe it was because they were both drunk, but Simon had Jonah laughing almost the entire time. And when they left the bar and headed their own ways, one to the vampires and the other to the Circle, Jonah was sad to go.

So he went home and, feeling lonely, decided to call Noah. Jonah didn't know what time it was, but he assumed it was pretty late, so he was surprised that he answered.

"Hello?" Noah answered.

"Heyyy." Jonah said, stretching out the y.

Noah chuckled at this, and said, "What are you doing, calling me this late?"

"Umm, I was out."

"With?"

Jonah was going to tell him he was with Simon, then remembered he probably shouldn't. "A friend."

"Like, one of your old friends?"

Jonah didn't want to lie to Noah. "No, a new friend."

"Do I know him?"

"I don't think so."

"So he's a guy?"

Jonah giggled at this for what felt like no reason. "You're so nosy." Then Jonah gasped. "Or maybe you're jealousss."

Noah laughed. "You're drunk."

"No, I'm...I'm perceptive." Noah didn't say anything, but Jonah could almost see him shaking his head. "I, uh..I don't know why I called you. I guess I just wanted to hear your voice."

"How sweet of you." It sounded like a tease, but Jonah took it with sincerity.

"It's no problem, really." Jonah answered.

They were both quiet on the phone for a moment. "You should get some rest." Noah said.

"Okay. Goodnight."

He waited for Noah to hang up, but he didn't. And he didn't want to hang up.

"Hang up the phone, Jonah."

Jonah giggled again. "I don't want to, you do it."

It was quiet again as he waited for Noah to hang up.

"Hang up the phone, Noah." Jonah said, mockingly.

"I don't wanna hang up either." Noah said softly.

Jonah searched through his drunken mind for a solution to this problem. "How about we stay on the phone until we fall asleep?"

"I'd like that." Noah said.

So that's what they did. Jonah laid down and put the phone close to his ear with the speaker on, and they talked on the phone until they both drifted off to sleep.

Jonah woke up to his alarm, and searched around in his bed for his phone, and ended up finding it after it fell to the ground. He picked it up and turned off the alarm. Then he went about his daily routine before heading to the Circle agency. Once he got there, he would normally stay for a while and listen for any missions he might have. Then, when he found out there were none, he would go to the Institute, and hang out there for the rest of the day.

Today, however, after staying at the Circle for a while, while he was thinking of leaving, he saw an agent he'd never talked to before come his way. The girl walked up to him, and said, "You're Jonah Redmon?"

"Yeah."

"Valentine wants ya. He's in his office. And if you don't know where it is, ask someone who cares." She then walked away.