Chapter 29

Jonah:

Jonah opened the doors to the Circle agency and looked around. He hadn't been back here in a couple days, he'd been recovering from his injuries at home. He had almost expected to see something or someone different, but wasn't surprised when things looked to be the same. At least on the surface.

"Jonah!"

Noah ran up to Jonah and hugged him tight.

"I'm only just back to the agency after getting my ribs cracked, and your first move is to bear hug me?"

"Oh! Sorry!" Noah immediately released the grip he had on Jonah.

"Nah, it's fine. We're Circle agents remember? If I can't handle a hug, I shouldn't be back here."

Noah nodded and smiled. "Right."

"So, what's been going on since I left."

"Nothing, actually."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It can only mean Valentine's planning his next big move, right?"

"Yeah. Wonder what he's planning..." Jonah trailed off and noticed that an agent was coming his way, the same one who acted as a bit of an assistant for Valentine before.

"Redmon, yeah?"

Jonah nodded. "Valentine's office. I guess you're one of his favorites now. Put in a good word for me."

"I mean, I don't really think-"

"I was being fucking sarcastic. God, you're so dense." She rolled her eyes and left.

Jonah looked at Noah, who shrugged. Jonah had forgotten she had been a bit rude last time, as well. Jonah walked to Valentine's office, and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

Jonah opened the door and walked in. Valentine was leaning on the desk of his office. He smiled when he saw Jonah.

"Hey, Jonah."

"Hey, Agent Valentine."

"How are you healing up?"

"Good, I feel 100% percent."

"That's great! I'm glad to hear it."

"I didn't realize you cared so about my well-being."

"Oh yes, but Jonah, I care about all of my Circle agents."

Jonah smiled. "But of course, I don't see why you wouldn't."

"Anyway, I have something to ask of you. I can only hope it's not too much, since you are only just returning from injury."

"Yes?"

"I'd like you to accompany me on a mission."

"What kind of mission?"

"Well, it's a rather delicate one. You and a couple other agents will be launching an attack on the leaders of the Downworld and Clave. They'll be meeting tonight, and no one knows of the location except them. And me, of course."

"However did you find out?"

"My allies have served me well, is all I'll say."

"So you'd like me and these other agents to do what, exactly?"

"You must take them to the Seelie courts. I want them all alive."

Jonah nodded.

"I understand this is a bit of a daunting task, and I wouldn't have asked it of you, but....when I told the Seelie Queen of my plans, she asked about you specifically. She did not say why, but she wanted you on this mission. And I couldn't refuse her, of course. You know how persuasive she can be, I'm sure."

"Yes, the Seelie Queen can be quite persuasive, as you say."

"So, will you accept this mission? You wouldn't want to let me and the Queen down."

"Of course not...I accept."

Valentine smiled. "Excellent. My team is ready, then. We'll leave at 9 P.M. Please don't be late. You're free to go until then. Although I'd suggest you train, to get yourself back in good fighting shape."

"Yes sir. I'll most definitely take that into consideration."

"And Jonah?"

"Yes?"

"Don't tell anyone in or out of the agency of this mission. Even your friends. I can't have word of our plans getting out. You understand, right?"

"Yes sir. Goodbye, Agent Valentine."

"Bye, Jonah. See you tonight."

Jonah exited the head agent's office and let out a breath. He couldn't believe this. He was going to help take out the head agents! Should he tell Agent Lightwood of Valentine's plans?

No, but that's just what the Seelie Queen wants. She wants me to tell Agent Lightwood and foil their plans, in order to make Valentine suspicious of me. So, the Seelie Queen has forced his hand. He must choose where his loyalties lie: The Clave or The Circle?