Chapter 22

The next few days went by in a blur, and soon enough, it was the day Simon was supposed to tell the Queen if he accepted his offer or not. Jonah hadn't really talked to Simon these last few days; he didn't want to pressure him into a decision. Because of that, he had no idea what Simon might choose.

Jonah walked up to the Circle agency, where a pair of guards stood. One of them held a container out. "Phone," he said gruffly.

Jonah stood there looking at him for a moment, not doing anything.

"Don't say you don't have one, everyone your age does." He narrowed his eyes. "So hand it over. Valentine's orders."

Jonah took his phone out, and handed it to the guard. What else could he do?

They let him into the agency then, and he immediately searched for Noah. "Hey, you know what's going on?" Jonah asked him as soon as he found him.

"No idea. Everyone's saying they took up the phones so no one will contact other agents. Whatever it is, it's something big."

Just then, the room got quiet. Jonah looked and saw Valentine in the middle of the room. He hadn't said anything, his presence alone silenced them.

"Agents of the Clave, today is a special day." Valentine smiled. "Tonight, we invade the Werewolf, Vampire, and Warlock Agencies with the help of our allies, the Seelies. This time, we will take no prisoners. Instead, we will kill them all. We will show them why we will soon be the sole agency that reigns over New York." A cheer went up among the agents. Valentine's smile grew wider.

"I'm sorry to have taken up your phones, but I had to ensure word did not get out of what was going on tonight. As another extra precaution, no one will leave this agency until we attack. We will stay here, and prepare for the fight ahead of us. Now, we will divide into three groups of a mix of Seelies and Circle agents. Everyone must go in to train, so I can determine which group you will be in. I will go in to see the first group of people shortly." Valentine then walked out of the room. Once he was gone, the room became loud again with the sound of everyone's chatter.

Jonah turned to Noah, who was grinning. "You ready for this? It's what we've all been waiting for."

Jonah forced a smile. "Can't wait."

***

After training for a while, he was told he would be put in Group A, the group that attacked the werewolves. He was just glad that he didn't have to attack the vampires. Noah was in his group, too. He wasn't surprised, they had a similar technique. He was glad he would be with him, for what would be his first kills. Jonah paled at the thought. He didn't want to kill anyone, let alone someone totally innocent. And of course, because he was dreading it with every fiber in his being, it was nightfall in what felt like only a couple hours.

Valentine stood back in the middle of the room. "Men, women, your courage and sacrifice is admirable. You are willing to give your lives for the greater good of New York, and for that, I applaud each and every one of you. Now, agents, I know you're itching to get out there, so I won't keep you any longer. The Circle has risen."

"The Circle has risen!" The agents shout and cheer. Someone opens the door, and the agents run over each other going through it. Jonah stays next to Noah, who isn't running, but somehow isn't getting ran over. When Jonah gets outside, he sucks in the fresh air. He had never been claustrophobic before, but having all those people squishing against him had made it hard to breath. He breathed in and out, trying to catch his breath. Noah noticed him, and put a hand on his shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Jonah nodded. "Yeah, you can go on. Just need to catch my breath."

Noah shook his head. "I'm not leaving your side."

Jonah smiled at Noah, and when he was able to breath normally, he catched up with his group, which wasn't too far ahead. He knew it was his group, because one of them said, "They think they're wolves, huh? I'm gonna cut one of their fingers off and say I took one of their claws."

Jonah crinkled his nose in disgust. Noah noticed this and whispered, "Yeah, that's kinda nasty."

Jonah wasn't sure what the game plan was, he wasn't sure if their was one. So when they got to the werewolf agency, and the agents began the attack, Jonah followed Noah, and hoped he wouldn't actually have to kill anyone.

Somewhere down the line, Jonah realized he had lost Noah, and was following someone else. Jonah saw a werewolf down the hall, who ran towards the agent in front of him and fought with everything they had. Jonah went back and down, and ran straight into a werewolf. She had long, white hair, that was streaked with blood. She looked like she had killed quite a few Circle agents before him, and wouldn't mind killing another.

She made the first move, and from there Jonah was on defense, trying his best to stay alive. The agent kicked Jonah hard in the ribs, and he fell down with a groan. She took a gun out, and aimed it at his head. Jonah thought about a way to counter, but he couldn't think past the pain in his stomach. He was sure they were broken.

"Time to die, bitch." The agent said, and spit in his face. She cocked the gun and put her finger on the trigger. Suddenly, the agent was knocked down, and Jonah heard a shot. Then another. He didn't know what was going on, he only knew he had to get up, he needed to get up. Then, he fainted.