Chapter 21

Jonah left the Seelie agency more confused than when he came. He didn't like these games the Seelie Queen was playing. If Valentine finds out he's a double agent, he very well may try to kill him. And the Seelie Queen knows this, so she's what, holding it over his head to make him bend to her every will?

Simon was right to try and avoid her. The Head Agent of the Seelies was proving to be nothing but trouble.

Jonah decided to go straight to the Institute instead of stopping at the Circle agency. Simon might be there, and he needed to talk to him. Once he got to the Clave agency, the first thing he did was look for Simon. He found him chatting with Jace, who looked like he was seconds away from strangling him.

"Hey, Simon," Jonah said, and approached the two of them. Jace looked relieved.

"Hey, Jonah," Simon said.

"Sorry to bother you, but I really need to talk to you. It's about our mission."

"Oh, well, I'll have to talk to you later, Jace."

As Jonah walked away with Simon, he heard Jace say, "No, you really don't have to."

"So what's up, man?" Simon asked.

"The Seelie Queen gave me an invitation to her courts today."

Simon widened his eyes. "What did she want?"

"She saw us, dude. She knows I'm a double agent."

Simon's mouth opened in shock. "I'm sorry, dude, this is all my fault-"

"How is this your fault?"

"I know her game. She's using you to get to me. And I'm not letting that happen." Simon sighed. "I have to go to the Seelie courts."

"No, you don't have to do that."

"Yes, I do. She just wants me, anyway, that's her endgame. She just dragged you into this. And as your friend, I'm not going to let her do that to you."

"Well, at least let me come with you."

"No, this is something I have to do on my own." Simon sighed. " I'll see you around, Jonah."

And with that, he walked off.

***

Simon came back to the Institute with a worried look on his face.

"What did she say? Did she try to recruit you?"

"No, it was the strangest thing. She offered me a place to stay at the courts."

"Really?"

"Yeah, she said I only had 72 hours to accept, and that I would be wise to accept her offer."

Jonah frowned. "Weird. Did she say anything to you about me?"

"That if I accepted, we would both be safe. If I didn't, she couldn't say what might happen."

"Sounds kinda ominous."

"Yeah, but the Queen is all about mind games. I don't know how seriously we should take her."

"Should we tell Agent Lightwood?"

"And watch him lose his shit over the Queen knowing? No thanks. We will if we have to."

"So then what do we do?"

"I guess I have a lot of thinking to do."