Chapter 6

Mission 4: Breaking and Entering

Magnus:

Magnus stood beside Catarina in a large group of people. Agent Fell had called a meeting at the agency. They hadn't had one since they lost the necklace, and Magnus assumed this meeting would be related to it.

"Alright, now that everyone's here, let's get right down to business. As you all may or may not know, the Shadowhunters have had agents going missing as of late. And while that might be bad news to them, it's great for us because it opens the prime opportunity to get the necklace back."

"Now, they have almost all their agents working trying to find the missing agents, so that leaves their agency nearly empty. I need a team to go into the Institute and get the necklace. I've got intel on where they are keeping it, so all you have to do is get in and get out. I want Raphael to head it alongside Magnus and Lorenzo."

You've got to be kidding me.

Ragnor knew Magnus didn't like, no, hated Lorenzo. He had never liked Magnus, and Magnus wasn't really sure why. He had never done anything to him. But, nevertheless, he had had it out for Magnus since the beginning, when he training to become an agent.

And Ragnor knew this, so why would he put them on such an important mission together? Once Ragnor dismissed the agents, Magnus made his way to him.

"Can I talk to you..privately?" Magnus asked.

Ragnor nodded and gestured towards his office. Magnus took this as a sign to follow him, so he did so.

Once they were in Fell's office, Magnus shut the door behind him and sat down comfortably in one of the chairs.

"You want to know why I put Lorenzo on the mission." Ragnor said.

"Like hell I do. You know how I feel about Lorenzo."

"Yes, I do. And I also know that you can be professional and not let personal issues get in the way, right?"

"Right." Magnus said, with a hint of sarcasm. Ragnor noticed it, but didn't address it.

"Look, like it or not, I want Lorenzo on this mission. He will be a valuable asset to you and Raphael, I assure you."

"And how is that? By boasting about how talented he is instead of actually doing anything?"

"No. Lorenzo is one of our best trackers. And you might have known that if you didn't only focus on his flaws."

"Well, it's hard to miss when there's so many of them."

Ragnor is quiet for a moment. "Have you gotten all your snarky comments out of your system? I don't want to hear one word about you two not getting along."

"I'm good." Magnus said.

"Good. Now, if that's all..?"

"Yes, that's all." Magnus said.

"You are dismissed." Ragnor said, and immediately busied himself with some paperwork.

Magnus left Ragnor's office deflated. He had hoped to change Ragnor's mind about Lorenzo, but he seemed suprisingly stubborn about it. Maybe there was more to Lorenzo than he first thought..

As if, Magnus thought with a chuckle. Magnus rounded a corner and ran into the one and only. Literally. He bumped into him as he went around.

"Watch where you're going, Mr. Bane," Lorenzo said, with anger in his tone.

"What a pleasure bumping into you, Mr. Rey. I'm looking forward to working with you," Magnus said with heavy sarcasm.

Lorenzo gave him a fake smile. "So, I'm assuming you were just whining about me to Agent Fell, right?"