Chapter 12

After surviving my encounter with Valentine, my next challenge was getting out of here without any one asking questions. This would probably be easier than Jonah was making it seem, since the only person at the agency who gave him a second glance was Nick. And he didn't see him anywhere, so he should be able to leave easily.

"Hey, Jonah! You made it out alive!" Spoke too soon.

Jonah turned to face Noah. "Yeah, I did. Don't think I wanna have a follow-up conversation, though."

"I don't think anyone would." Noah said. "Anyway, me and a couple of other guys were wanting to go to this club. You wanna join?"

"Yeah, I got something to do first, but I'll meet up with you guys."

"Cool, it's called Pandemonium. Vic says it's really fucking cool. We'll see all types of people there."

Jonah nodded. "Yeah, I'll see you guys there."

Noah smiled and began to walk away. "I'm gonna go tell Vic you're coming."

Jonah walked toward the door of their headquarters, and once he was outside, he breathed in the fresh air with a sigh. Being outside was always so calming to him. It always helped him focus, when everything around him was uncertain. Now things were more uncertain than they had ever been. He had become apart of the Circle for a sense of belonging, to feel like he was cared about by someone. He now realized that Valentine never cared for him. Not the way the Shadowhunters cared for each other. They were a family. That's what Jonah wanted.

Jonah got to the Institute, the building towering above him. He couldn't imagine the stories this place could tell. He walked through the doors and made his way to Agent Lightwood's office. He figured he would have to tell him how it went. On the way, he saw Alec. He started to walk towards him, then realized he looked distracted, his eyes darting around as if he was looking for someone. He thought better of it, and continued walking to Lightwood's office. Being the eldest son of the head of the agency must put a lot of pressure on Alec, to be a worthy agent. He must feel stressed about it sometimes.

Jonah knocked on the door of the office, and waited for the man inside to tell him to come in. Once he did so, he walked to the desk Agent Lightwood sat at.

"Mission report?" Lightwood asked, and looked up at Jonah.

"I told Valentine what happened. He seemed to believe me, and took pity on me. I think he thought I was really shaken up about it."

Lightwood nodded. "Did he say anything about you not completing your mission?"

"He just said there would be other opportunities to get more agents. I think he believes we have enough, at least for now."

"Well, just remember, if you hear anything you think would be useful, report it directly to me. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer."

Jonah nodded. "Yes sir."

Lightwood dismissed the boy with a wave of his hand. Jonah walked out the room, making sure to close the door behind him. He texted Nick to ask if they were at the club yet.

He could never tell when Noah was being serious. Sometimes he thought Noah might actually be gay, sometimes it felt like he was just messing with him. He gave Jonah so many mixed messages.

Once he got to the club, he saw Noah outside of it, as promised. Once he saw Jonah, he waved at him and grinned. Jonah walked up to Noah and rolled his eyes. "Come on then, let's go inside." Jonah said.

Jonah followed Noah into the club and looked around him. Vic was right, the atmosphere of the room was different than anything Jonah had ever experienced. It was the type of feeling that left you wanting more, without knowing what it was you wanted more of. Jonah hardly noticed Noah had begun talking beside him.