Lone Magus

The musky aroma of rotten wood, was one that a young woman had grown accustomed to for quite sometime now. Yet even so she was grateful she have shelter over her head, knowing the fates of other Magus Families whom had fallen from grace. Many who had ceased their attempt to seek out "The Root". But her family was not like those who betrayed their true purpose. For centuries ago in North Wales; the Erwood family was a well known and even National treasure. Their unique ties to the oldest known magic "Runes". Brought fourth quite a few well known Mages in history. Though their names have faded just as the Erwood; once other perhaps easier magic was found. The popularity and prosperity of the family shattered; so much infact that their lands were ceased. Burned away into nothing. Causing the family to seek refuge with it's few remaining allies.

In those early times and till this day one ally remained by the Erwood side. And that prestigious family was the Tohsaka family. They eagerly took the remaining Erwood's in, allowing them Abit of land in Japan. In exchange of course for access to their Rune Magic. Unable to object the "Head of the Erwood" agreed to the terms. Saving what remained of his family; though at a cost of both their "Family Crest" and their power. Turning the once powerful Erwood's into the forgotten family it was today. As many Magus Families either ignored the existence of a single heir. Or knew nothing of her. But that did not matter to her, soon enough she would have the attention that her family deserved. That her own father died to resurrect from the ashes. Leaving his undying wish and legacy to his only heir; his daughter. It was in the very home she stayed that the young woman swore to her father. She would carry on the Erwood Family and the runes they held dear.

With those words; her father left this world. And in so left his daughter alone to fulfill her promise in solitude. Even after 9 years of constant study in her crumbling home. The young Magus continued her study. Knowing that the only chance she would have of proving her family's worth to all was to compete in the next "Holy Grail War." And that alone was not an easy feat. As such, devoid of any communication outside the Erwood Estate. She studied, perfecting her manipulation of not only Mana but Runes. Feeling that her runes would one day be the one thing to keep her from death. The "Erwood Heir" refused the use of alchemy or any other type of magic. Wishing to push her Rune Magic to its limits. She show all just how powerful the might of the Gods truly were. In it's rarest form their human minds could muster. With 9 years of training and devotion, she hoped to be picked as one of the three other Masters in the Holy Grail War. Not only seeking the Grail for her family, but for herself.

Though as the time for the "Holy Grail War" drew near. Anxiety began to make itself known to the lone Magus. Had she done all the preparation she could for this day? But most of all; what Servant would fight by her side? As even in her dreams the young woman dreamed of a man. Though his back was turned to her,there was no doubt in her mind that he was handsome. He stood before the woman, his arms outstretched as a neverending inferno devoured all in sight. Man. Beast. Building. It mattered not, as long as it could be dismantled. Yet even so he stood, almost proudly before her. The sight alone for many night would startle the young maiden from her sleep. Tears upon her cheeks at the strange man, and yet she felt drawn to the man. Even though she could not see his face. She knew he could be trusted without a doubt.

After many sleepless nights the young woman stood in the shambled remains of her bedroom. The wooden walls splintered about as did the floor at her feet. The room itself was devoid of even a window; as the young girl's father had covered it when she was young. Deciding that anything outside their home was a distraction. And distractions was something his family could not afford. All the while tucked in a far-off corner was a worn full sized bed. The young woman despite her circumstances stood tall and proud. Seeking to infact change what her family had now come to be. Standing before an intricately drawn magic circle; the young woman prepared herself. Knowing that this would be the new beginning of her life.

Clasping her left hand to her chest, the young Magus extended the right out before her. The incantation flowing from her lips like water. Pure and yet mighty as she beckoned the Holy Grail to heed her call. "Let silver and steel be the essence.
Let stone and the archduke of contracts be the foundation.
Let Blue be the color I pay tribute to.
Let rise a wall against the wind that shall fall.
Let the four cardinal gates close.
Let the three-forked road from the crown reaching unto the Kingdom rotate.
Let it be declared now; your flesh shall serve under me, and my fate shall be with your sword.
Submit to the beckoning of the Holy Grail.
Answer, if you would submit to this will and this truth.
An oath shall be sworn here.
I shall attain all virtues of all of Heaven;
I shall have dominion over all evils of all of Hell.
Yet you shall serve with your eyes clouded by chaos.
For you would be one caged in madness.
I shall wield your chains.
From the Seventh Heaven, attended to by three great words of power,
come forth from the ring of restraint, protector of the holy balance!"

The entire room rippled with Mana, so much that infact the air itself was ripe with it. Nearly sparking upon contact with the magic circle before her. The young woman watched as the circle began to give off a brilliant crimson light which poured heavily from it. And it was within this light that the woman witnessed a body slowly taking shape. Her eyes never leaving the sight as a thick smoke filled the room. She stifled back a cough as the woman's bright eyes were wide upon what stood before her. She had indeed pulled a formidable Servant and ally.