CHAPTER FOUR: "THE SUMMER TIME GIRL"

𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐒𝐄 𝐕𝐈𝐎𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐒
Chapter Four | The Summer Time Girl

PRESENT TIME

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

THE DAY STARTED OFF LIKE ANY OTHER FOR Jenna Sommers. She was a struggling college student trying to get by in her classes long enough to collect her pesky history degree. Her life started off simple.

Went to high school, dated plenty of douche bag boys to last a lifetime. Then, she graduated fourth in her class. Jenna got a easy job as a real estate agent for a small town that rarely anybody moved in. And went to college to earn some resemblance of her intellect. Nothing spectacular, but also nothing bad either. Just a steady stream of consistency that bored her to death.

But then, her sister died.

And everything went drastically down hill. A once carefree sorority girl was now suddenly the legal guardian of not one, but two, heart broken teenagers. Truth be told, Jenna was still reeling that her older sister was gone.

It happened within an instant. Before she was the youngest and now, she was the only. The concept of losing a loved one had never fully clicked until the day of her funeral. It was grim and emotional, plagued with kind apologies that she appreciated but everyone knew they didn't necessarily help the pain.

It felt like yesterday when Jenna watched her sister get married. Dressed in a beautiful white gown Miranda took months to finally pick out. She was crying in the bridesmaid line up, wishing for a love like her's that would stand the test of time.

Now, Jenna found herself grasping for straws of the moments they spent together. Looking at memorabilia. Reminiscing on the fun times. It wasn't the same.

Parenting her sister's children didn't ease the ache either. She had never been responsible for anything other than her car and if she had enough money in her bank account to purchase another pack of Ramen noddles three meals a day.

Elena and Jeremy took their parents passing differently. Whereas Elena wanted to assume the role Jenna had been given, leading the family despite her emotional turmoil to greener pastures. Jeremy wasn't up for taking one for the team. His thoughts became dark and explosive. The only way for him to calm them down was to resort to illegal drugs.

Jenna had been there once, she knew the name of the game. But she definitely hated seeing him suffer through it day by day.

As for Jenna, she tried to remain busy. Something, anything to distract her from reality. Whether it be volunteering for Founder's day festivities or assigning herself extra credit in her classes. It was all the same to her. She had thought this was as bad as it could get.