CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: "MY LOVE CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS"

THESE VIOLENT DESIRES

Chapter twenty-one | My love could move mountains

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

IT WAS A PARTICULARLY SUNNY DAY IN MYSTIC FALLS this morning and Kalliope was stuck indoors. At least, for the time being. And woe what an atrocity to keep a Genie anywhere she didn't want to be. It was the story of her life.

"Kalliope, where have you been? Everyone has been looking everywhere for you," Was the first thing Elena Gilbert said as she marched through the front door of the Lockwood Mansion. Her doe brown eyes were blown wide as she took the pair in. Elijah standing by the window like something out of a magazine and then there was Kalli, who was nursing her temper with her second drink of the day.

The Genie didn't want to immediately lose herself to her emotions. She hadn't built up centuries of layers and decorum just to let it all slip away now. Over men who do not love her as she believed to be loved for that matter. She had been angry for far longer and for far more than a man forgetting about her. No, Elena would not get the brunt of her disappointment. But that also didn't mean she would get her unadulterated kindness. Kalliope was a little past that at the moment.

"Good morning, Elena." Kalli ignored Elena's accusatory words, raising her glass of bourbon with an impish smile.

The Genie wore a soft pink ensemble that the woman in Paris told her was a 'romper'. Whatever that meant. It tied in a neat bow, one that matched the bow in her hair, around her neck. The lack of sleeves exposed her tanned arms and delicate build. Showing a little more skin than she was usually comfortable, but she felt feminine in it like a fuzzy rosebud waiting to bloom. If only she could walk outside to inhale the sun, then she'd be lighter. The sudden company was starting to feel stuffy.

"Kalli-" The Gilbert was bewildered.

"Elena," Elijah greeted, making himself known to the young girl. He stood from the armchair he dubbed as his own. Sitting in it with one leg crossed over the other and a newspaper pried open between his large hands. His suit had changed again. The man had many outfits to filter through. Kalliope was sure he possessed far more than she did within her Chalice. "Ms. Debonair has been in my company... You look fitful. I take it, Klaus is here."

Elena stumbled in her walk short of Elijah. Her eyes shifted between the older immortals with trepidation. Her hands fumbled against her clothes. "Yes... listen, Elijah, I'm sorry for my part in daggering you. I just wanted to protect my friends and family. I'll do anything to protect them."

Her rambling seemed to annoy Elijah, though he didn't make it obvious. Kalli noticed by the way he fiddled with his cufflinks and the subtle narrowness of his brown eyes. Loyalty was important to him and her youthful ignorance and flighty behavior irked him. Kalliope swallowed another mouthful of bourbon—the whiskey simpering down her throat with a promise to lower her inhibitions.