CHAPTER TWENTY: "CLARITY FROM AFAR"

THE VIOLENT DESIRES

Chapter twenty | Clarity from afar

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

ONE MOMENT.

THAT WAS ALL IT WAS, MUCH LIKE A BLINK. In one moment, Kalliope was in the Martins's old apartment, stowing away in Elijah's presumed bedroom, and in the next instant, she was on her very first airplane to Paris, France. The number of exclamations and gasps of shock between the stylish pearl-colored car with a leather interior to the ramp onto the private plane was astronomical. Elijah simply lost count of how many adorable expressions she could make in mere minutes of each other.

The sun had just begun to rise when the plane took off into the clouds. Kalli stood bone straight in her seat. Hands clasped into fists as the plane ascended into the sky like something out of a magical storybook. Her doe brown eyes were blown wide with fear. A sudden grasp on the cufflinks of Elijah's suit both annoyed and amused him in equal measure. She thought she'd lose her stomach at the velocity they were traveling.

The view outside of the window once the plane settled nearly brought the Genie to tears. She had never been so high off the ground before. Everyone looked minuscule compared to her great height. The world and its endless problems couldn't reach her from above. Yes, she felt pure unadulterated fear, but she also had never felt more exhilarated.

She wondered if this was how her daughter and husband felt when they ascended into the light. Weightless, endless, full of hope and wonder beyond comprehension. Her heart pitter-pattered a symphony of sounds, emotions elevating with her body. So high, her eyes fluttered as she shakily sighed. Kalliope thought she'd combust with over-emotion.

Kalli didn't have many regrets at this moment other than leaving so abruptly. She worried for Jenna. Her newest friend and so suddenly, her dearest friend. There was a sense of familial bond with them. Kalliope felt responsible for her well-being.

What if she forgets to summon Kalliope and it's too late?

There was only one time when a Wishmaker died before she could grant them their wish. People have died because of their wishes. Far too grand or greedy, the monkey's paw type of thing. However, such a drastic, dark end was scarcely unusual. She couldn't even think- no, she made her deal with Klaus. He wouldn't so easily break it unless he didn't wish for her to come with him on his tirade. Maybe Klaus wasn't one to keep his word, but Kalli sure was and she'd hold him to it. Her newest friends meant far too much to her.

Although Kalli wished her friends could travel with her, she started to feel an adventure of her own choosing taking place. It might have been seemingly insignificant, but the choices gave her much more control over her situation. Elijah and her were working together, she wasn't being carted around like a prize. It was a consensual partnership. One she readily signed up for.