[ n i n e ]

n i n e
s e l f - d e f e n s e

AMELIA WALKED INSIDE OF THE SCHOOL WITH MALIA AND LYDIA

Turns out, Tracy had a book in her room, and the content was very similar to what they've been experiencing lately.

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon," Lydia read out loud the title before staring at the drawing intensely.

"What?" Amelia asked.

Lydia frowned. "I don't know. There's something about it. Has anyone actually read it yet?"

"Just me," replied Malia. "And I didn't understand any of it."

"We should probably all read it," suggested Amelia as she held on to the strap of her bag.

Malia looked at her, excited. "Kira's working on that." Amelia remembered how Kira had a past with photocopies when she printed out the whole information of Bardo for Scott last year.

"Stiles says he can't find anything on the author," told the two Amelia as she looked at her text conversation with her boyfriend. "He thinks it's a pet name."

The hunter opened her locker as Lydia read the back cover out loud. "In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive." Amelia raised her eyebrows. That was oddly specific. "Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as... the Dread Doctors."

Amelia exhaled. "Sounds... vaguely familiar," she mentioned sarcastically. "How does it end?"

"It doesn't," replied Malia, making Amelia frown. "This is supposed to be volume one."

Lydia raised her eyebrows. "Oh, let me guess... There is no volume two?"

Malia looked at the two. "I think we're living volume two."

Amelia thought Malia was definitely right about that.

"Then maybe the real question is, is this a novel or someone's prediction?" Asked Lydia, making Amelia tremble. One of her fears was being buried alive.

"Like everything else in our lives... no fiction, pure reality," mumbled Amelia before grabbing the book, opening it.

"What are you doing?" Asked Malia.

The girl raised her eyebrows. "We may not know about the author... but there has to be something else."

She looked at the first and then, the last page. And she found it.