19. Change

Atheria's POV:

"HAYDEN NO!"

I sprinted towards him, wanting to stop him from falling off the rooftop.

However, I was instead met with a very confused-looking Hayden, who looked at me as if I had lost my mind.

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion.

Was I just overthinking it?

It's not like a dream I had could've actually been real right?

Gosh, I must look really stupid right now...

"Atheria, are you okay? What are you doing?" Hayden asked with concern.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him closer to me so that he wouldn't be so close to the edge of the rooftop.

"I'm okay, but I thought you were going to fall off and it scared the shit out of me," I replied with a sigh.

"You thought I was going to jump?"

I looked at him, my dream playing in my head once again.

I nodded slowly and turned my head away from him.

I felt two warm hands cup my cheeks, bringing me to face him.

Hayden's eyes glimmered with slight sadness and it made my heart beat faster.

He leaned in, giving me a small peck on my cheek.

"Don't worry, I would never do that and leave you behind."

I smiled, feeling relieved that he was safe and sound.

To prevent us from getting soaked, Hayden brought me to a spot that was sheltered from the rain.

He sat down and patted the ground beside him, gesturing for me to sit down with him.

I quickly sat down and leaned against him, resting my head on his shoulder.

So much has happened, but so little has changed.

"Atheria, I think we should talk about what happened." Hayden started.

I turned my body to face him, nodding my head in agreement.

"You should start first. What happened to you and your father?" I asked.

Hayden rubbed the temples of his head and sighed before explaining, "It's a bit of a long story and I'm not sure if I'm going to sound crazy, but with what has happened I think it won't be hard for you to believe."

I nodded, understanding that we have both done odd things today.

"I came back home to see my father completely out of it. It was like he was possessed or something. Then the next thing I knew, he held a knife and came right at me with it."

I gasped, covering my mouth with my hand.

His father was going to kill him?

"Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. When he came at me, I didn't know what to do. Right before he slashed me with the knife, I felt this odd sensation throughout my body. Then suddenly, my father flew across the room and knocked into the wall. I'm not sure how I did it, there was this...this dark orb? It's as if I blasted him away from me. I know this sounds crazy-"

Before he continued, I hugged him tight.

"It's okay. I believe you and I can understand how you're feeling." I reassured him.

"Thank you, Atheria." Hayden gave a small smile.

"I was terrified when it happened. My father, he wasn't breathing... I thought I had killed him. What did you do back there? It's as if he came back to life." He asked, baffled.

"I- I erm..."

As I struggled to explain, I felt Hayden give my hand a gentle squeeze to calm me down.

"I'm honestly not so sure what I was doing back there with your father too. When I saw how upset you were when he wasn't breathing, my heart ached like crazy. I felt this immense wave of sadness just... hit me? Then suddenly it was as if my body was moving on its own accord. I felt an odd sensation throughout my body too and suddenly I could feel his heartbeat." I explained.

"Oh, and my necklace. It started humming and I couldn't hear anything else but his heartbeat."

I held my necklace and showed it to Hayden.

Though it was previously humming, it just seemed like an ordinary piece of jewellery at the moment.

Strange... what's with this necklace?

Hayden leaned forward to look at the necklace, squinting his eyes until he found something.

"It says here, Goddess of Emotions. What does this even mean?" He questioned aloud, a look of confusion washing over his features.

"I'm not sure either. Everything just feels like a dream right now. Nothing makes sense and I don't know what to do about it." I replied solemnly.

"Don't worry, I'll be with you always. We'll get through this together and figure out what's happening." Hayden assured me.

I felt myself calm down, my rapidly beating heart finally slowing down.

"Hey, the rain stopped. Let's go get something to eat. My father has to stay here overnight, doctor's orders." Hayden suggested.

I looked up at the sky and realised that it did indeed stop raining.

I could tell that Hayden wanted to cheer me up, so I agreed with a smile.

At least we're in this together.

"Great! Let me go say bye to my dad first." Hayden grabbed my hand and pulled me along, flashing his pearly white teeth.

He's really like a kid sometimes...

I grinned, being with him always made me feel better.

I followed Hayden to his father's hospital room and waited outside for him.

Oh right, Lily wanted me to tell her how Hayden was.

I suddenly remembered Lily's request and decided to update her about Hayden's situation.

Even though I felt guilty for it, I chose to lie about what had happened.

This is too complicated right now for me to tell her the truth.

Maybe when we figure things out then I'll tell her.

I briefly told Lily that Hayden was fine and just overslept.

Fortunately, she didn't question any further.

When I was done texting Lily, I felt a tap on my shoulder.

Hayden?

I smiled and rolled my eyes at his childish antiques.

Before I could turn around, he covered both my eyes with his hands.

"Guess who I am."