Chapter 32

"A Million Places"

I don't move. All I can feel is my heart hammering brutally against my ribcage; my pulse accelerating profusely as Rio still tightly grips on to his pistol.

I notice his tan knuckles shift white - his index finger hovering the trigger. Rio holds a promising cold glare unto his own guy aiming at me.

"Don't touch her." Rio warned gravely, attracting everyone's alerted attention.

Everyone seemed to have froze from what they were doing, now watching.

There's a knot in my throat, I can't swallow it down. The man from Terminus traces his forest green eyes over to Rio - his angry gaze instantly shifting tentative.

Rio's jawline is clenched and hardened, I think everyone in the open den can latch on to it.

He looks... angry. Dangerously angry.

"Put the gun down, Oli." Rio breaks the deafening silence, but the tension still lingers. "Now."

I would speak, attempt to ask Oli if he could lower his weapon, but part of me knows I shouldn't. The bigger part of me knows that I don't have to.

Because Rio's just across the room. And amidst the situation... I feel... safe.

Within seconds, Oli finally lowers his aim. He sternly shoves his gun back into the rem of his jeans without a sliver of hesitation. However, I refuse to move just yet.

Oli keeps his dark gaze on Rio's fiery brown eyes, and Rio then puts his own gun away, too.

Sudden relief suffices, and I look over to Rio out of habit.

In his midnight black button down shirt, he begins in rather calm steps towards Oli's direction. Rio stops just inches away from him, his irises still stone cold and threatening.

"She's off limits." Rio whispers lowly, tone domineering. I don't think I was meant to hear the remark, but I did.

Remaining still I watch the gang leader send Oli a disapproving once over, a moment, before fixing on his eyes again.

"Do I make myself clear?" he questions - his penetrating irises blazing with a silent yet roaring challenge.

I hear Oli swallow, though it's remote. He strictly nods in return shortly after.

And with a set jaw, Rio just barely collides with the man's shoulder as he closely walks around him. I think I feel my heart skip a beat while I watch Rio now head in my direction. I release a breath I didn't think I had held.

I could hug him right now.

Rio approaches me without a pause in his steps. "Let's go," he orders huskily, before slipping his warm hand into mine and continuing in his tracks.

Deciding to thank him until we step out of the den since his men are still looking at us, I intwine my fingers with his own, and squeeze his hand for the first time - as he leads the way out into a corridor.

--

Following into step by Rio's side, my hand still in his, Rio hasn't breathed a word since we finally stepped away from Terminus.

I don't know why, but he's quiet. And as many times as I snook a quick sideways glance in his direction, I can't tell what he's thinking, either.