Chapter 13

"Everything is Different Now"

     The running water is cold on my hands, as I hurriedly try rinsing Callum's blood from off my quivering palms.

Standing in a restroom in the desolate mechanic shop, as the dim ceiling light above me keeps mercilessly flickering off and on, the wonder as to how this place is still coursing electricity is the least of my thoughts.

He's gone.

I couldn't save him.

Reaching for soap from the dusty dispenser, my vision is quick to become blurry again. And before I can force myself to hold it back, I break.

A faint sob erupts from between my pink lips, as I try scrubbing harder for the red liquid to vanish from my hands.

And almost two minutes later, when I don't spot a single sliver of the blood anymore, I turn off the faucet. I grab a paper towel, drying my warm skin.

Then I take in a cool breath, collecting myself to step back outside - though everything inside me seems unbearably shifted.

Rio's outside. Right outside that door.

I don't even know what to say to him.

I... I don't know what to do.

But the slightly rusted doorknob is cool beneath my fingers, when I don't stop myself from walking outside.

My blue-green irises immediately drift onto Rio - who leans against the wall beside the doorframe in his zipped up black hoodie, before meeting my pained gaze and quickly standing upright.

As my quivering hands begin to steady, finally, I though now feel the inevitable ache in my chest resurface.

Rio stands still and silent. The unrecognizable emotion still fluxes across his dark brown eyes. But I can pick up on the regret glimmering behind them.

I don't move, as I watch the gang leader's lips then part. But before he breaks the engulfing silence between our distinct figures, Rio only clears his throat. It looks as if he doesn't know what to say. As if he doesn't want to show the regret - the possible guilt.

And I catch sight of his jawline clench hard.

"Isabel," he breathes out lowly - barely audible.

"Don't." I begin sternly, feeling my heart pound rapidly within my chest. At the mere sight of Callum. Of Rio.

"I, um," I clear my throat through the unfamiliar sound of my shaky voice, before I settle my teary eyes down to the sandy ground, and begin in my steps.
"We need to do something. We need to, um," with furrowed brows I feel a tear fall down my cheek - and I'm quick to wipe it away.

My thoughts are racing profusely, darkly. My stomach is plummeting.

"I need to cover this up, somehow."

While Rio stays behind, I approach Cal's body upon the sand. And I lean down to grab my gun - after remembering I dropped it onto the ground when I knelt next to Callum just minutes ago.

I hold my breath, feeling my pulse quicken, as I stand upright beside my brother's breathless body. I place my gun back into the rim of my jeans, before turning around again.

"They can't know Callum was involved with the gang we've been tracking down for months." I explain shakily, drifting my gaze unto my surroundings.