Chapter 41

"Where the End Meets a Beginning"

     The grand chandeliers sparkle and illuminate the room as I watch a few more people walk over to congratulate me on my promotion — most only come out as slurs from the amount of alcohol they've had moments before, but I still catch their regards.

I've noticed that people in New York drink much more than what I'm use to seeing in Virginia. The lifetime supply of taxis and coffee shops, the never ending traffic, and the thicker northern accents. It's all so different here.

I'm away from home, but I'm finally Deputy Chief. It's all I ever wanted.

Standing beside a wall that showcases a plaque with my name on it, I see all kinds of unfamiliar faces; each socializing and talking to someone by their side. Quite a few have it obvious that they're talking and laughing with their very best friend.

Across the room, I notice a lady's embarrassing attempts to flirt with a bartender that's just trying to give her small smiles after every pickup line she delivers; he clearly doesn't want to be rude while she finishes her fourth glass.

I purse my lips to keep from laughing, and instinctively turn my head to get Rio to look at the scene; I know he'll find it just as amusing, too.

But he's not there.

Right...

My smile begins to slowly fade.

I really need to get use to this, use to it just being me, now.

I look around to see everyone still socializing at the event. They're all happy, and happy for me - so I should be, too.

But the complete opposite of happiness settles, when I take note of where I am. This is all so new; I'm going to have days that I want to talk about with him. Cases I need to rant about to him.

I'm going to want to tell him about New York and it's differences. I know I have his number, I can call him for all of that. But I don't want to call him. I want to be next to him, listening to him when he needs to rant.

Everyone in this room has a person. I don't have mine.

The one that I socialize with, and laugh with like he's my best friend.

He isn't here.

I feel my heartbeat starting to race and I can't control it, when one final thought occurs.

I could have it all — this amazing career, a fresh start in NYC, and even a special plaque with my name on it.

But now, I can feel it. The void.

Because it feels physically impossible to be truly happy.... if my person isn't here to share it with me.

I can't.

No, I could never.

The void only summons one final thought.

An unwelcoming, fragile conclusion.

. . .I don't think I could ever—

The sudden sound of my alarm goes off and wakes me instantly as I jump up, being quick to sit upright on my bed.

With my eyesight barely adjusted, I reach over to dismiss the alarm on my nightstand as the morning sunlight gently beams into my bedroom.

And with a deep breath I run a hand through my tousled blonde hair — my brows knitting together once I notice the odd and uneasy ache in my chest.