Chapter 20

"Hello, Darlin"

Today marks four weeks. And I know I can't let my mind become clouded by how long Callum's been gone, somehow.

I just have to remain strong. And severely, very severely, occupied.

In my light blue sleeveless blouse, I slip on my black leather jacket; letting the familiar coolness of it rest upon my skin as a start.

And standing in the accompanied conference room of the Station, I pull my blonde hair into a low bun, as I scan my gaze across each uniformed man and woman seated at the conference table before me.

"Alright," I start, "we're nearing one month since the start of the Peterson case. I've been hunting and hunting, and still haven't been gaining any leads." I inform the team.

I take in a smooth breath, flicking my gaze down a moment.

"I'm not giving up. We aren't." I claim, fixating my eyes ahead again. Just then, my blue-green irises locate Delilah who sits at the corner nearest my standing frame. Her bold, forest green eyes glint with strict understanding on mine - but I grasp onto the provoking sympathy showcasing.

I take a moment to send my dearest friend a small smile. Then, Delilah delivers one in turn.

I remember how much we would get together to watch a movie at my place, or hers. We would spend hours talking about anything under the sun.

Now, ever since she's returned from maternity leave, everything has changed. So much has happened.

But I miss the way things use to be. Between me and... everyone.

Too suddenly, the sound of a throaty cough being casted in the room retracts me from my inner thoughts, and I glance over to see Vince begin walking in my direction.

In a white button down shirt - sleeves rolled up as his hands are planted in the pockets of his black khakis - Vince's glimmering brown eyes meet mine.

"Costellanos is right." He starts solemnly, stopping next to my side. His jaw is clenched next to me, but I catch the sight of his full lips twitch a second.

Vince keeps his strict gaze ahead.

"We'll be printing out more copies of Peterson's face for the Wanted list. Marketing a twenty five thousand dollar reward." I watch the side of Vince's mouth curve upward to plaster a smug grin.

"Who can turn down that kind of money, right?" he remarks - his deep tone smooth with infallibility.

My gaze focuses on the team members seated once more.

"And as for the latest gang update..." I announce, taking the file obtaining the record of the gang's tracks from the conference table's surface into my grip.

"The last time they decided to make noise was the bank robbery of $600,000." I clarify, attracting the undivided attention of each person in the room - including Vince's.

"We're not letting them get away." Vince says next to me, confidently, as his low tone seems to be merely directed towards me alone when my blue-green eyes find his.
"Same goes for Peterson." he finishes.

I faintly swallow, as my gaze briefly averts to my partner's lips a second. And when I fixate on his brown irises again, intently, I feel my pink lips twitch.

I'm happy to have him around.

Too suddenly, and for a sliver of an unpredicted second, the sound of the door of the conference room being swung open rather abruptly causes me to jolt my attention towards the chaos.