Chapter 37

"He's Back"

Happy birthday, mama, he said - and I instantly couldn't suppress my smile when I locked onto Rio's ardent brown eyes.

As he stands on my doorstep in a navy blue t-shirt and black jeans, the only emotion to surface next to surprise as my heartbeat incessantly flutters--the emotion he visibly shows, too--is happiness.

It almost feels overwhelming while my smile is broad and unfeigned.

"Rio," I beam as he hands me the roses. I instantly wonder how he knew.

How did he know about the day I myself tried to not recognize?

"Thought I'd stop by on this special day," he starts huskily, his voice all too smooth while a mischievous grin begins tugging at his full lips. I step aside for him to walk in. "Plus, there's somewhere I wanna take you." he says as he walks by me.

Still surprised, a faint blissful laugh escapes me when I close the door behind him. Rio's taller frame wanders into the kitchen and I follow behind.

"How did you know..." I ask; my confusion evident as my eyebrows furrow - but a genuine smile is still canvased. I place the flowers on the kitchen island before taking a seat at one of the barstools.

I watch Rio stop in his calm steps across from me, remaining stood with his hands folded behind his back. His intent stare glues onto my own.

"I knew Cal's," he informs me; a flicker of sympathy blazing behind his eyes a second - before I catch another vague emotion that's almost unrecognizable for his tough demeanor.

Sadness.

And I feel the same at the unexpected mention of my twin brother.

But it only lasts a moment, for the both of us I think, as his lips curve upward again. "So you ready or what?" he asks smoothly, leaning a broad shoulder against my fridge just feet away from me, claiming the center of my gaze.

I can tell he only wants for this to be a good day, too.

In return I barely suppress my laughter, "in a moment. Where is it you wanna take me anyway?" I ask curiously.

Rio watches me with the familiar twist of deep intent and dangerous mischief burning onto my bright gaze - he then gently bites down on his lip. "You'll see."

Only seconds after his response, a small grin plays about on my pink lips as I glance to the beautiful roses a moment.

"Okay, fine. I'll get ready after we catch up a bit." I carry my gaze up to Rio again, putting my elbow on the island's surface to rest my chin in the palm of my hand. I send him a sheepish smile.

And looking at him, fixating on the dark pair of mischievous eyes I've grown use to, only one thought surfaces. And unlike telling Vince and anyone else, this one hurts the most.

I have to tell him about the promotion. The transfer.

I have to tell him goodbye.