Chapter 18

"Promises"

The gentle breeze is cool and light, beneath the cloudy midday sky. I stand still and in bitter silence - planting my hands into the pockets of my long grey coat.

It's been particularly warm in the crowded city of Richmond during the last few weeks, as it should be, amongst the renewed season of Summer.

But not today.

This afternoon has bestowed nothing but a cool chill to pass by every few minutes; sending the dark leaves of the lingering trees to wisp amongst one another occasionally.

Of all days, I needed this one to be merciful. To be surrounded by plenty of noise, or maybe even the vague chaos of solving an investigation at work today. Anything to keep my mind from what today actually is.

But around me, in the center of the graveyard, lurks mere silence.

My dry blue-green eyes observe the new gravestone before me, a moment. Seeing Callum's name engraved across it's slick surface causes my stomach to plummet.

Yet I force back the tears, the hurting. I mentally remind myself to be strong.

Almost everyone that's shown up within the past hour and a half has reassured me that it will get better - and I've been holding on tight onto the fact that it will.

But it's going to take time.

And in the midst of waiting, after one toxic encounter with Rio last week, I have finally found a place to dwell. To heal.

"Detective," Vince's deep voice is gentle behind me, before I turn around to see him walking over.

Afar and over his broad shoulders stand the visitors that have arrived at Cal's funeral today - some getting into their vehicles to leave after a while of staying, and some deciding to stay aside to reconnect with others.

Everyone is in something bright. Not a single inch of black showcases across the area we stand. It's the only thing I asked of everyone today.

My brother wouldn't of wanted it to be even more saddening, or gloomy. It feels right.

My blue-green irises land on Vince who stops by my side - in a white v-neck tee and dark jeans.

I feel my pink lips quirk up.

"The white suits you." I begin, failing at suppressing a smile.

I watch my partner purse his lips, a second, before peering his gaze down and allowing for a grin to suffice before he meets my eyes again.

"You too, C." He returns, briefly glancing across the silky white blouse beneath my warm coat.

I form a small, thankful smile while Vince stands close. His solid brown irises settle on my brother's gravestone, a moment.

There's a flash of sincerity and empathy to provoke like a flame across my partner's irises. I softly take in a breath, and break the awakening bitter silence before it can engulf the two of us.