Chapter 38

"Partners"

    Rio's dark brown eyes skim across my gaze a moment - a flicker of worry and perplexity instantly settling behind his own gaze as I stand on his doorstep

He stands another second longer, looking at me, before he quickly steps aside for me to enter his house. And with my wet hair overlapping my shoulders, having raindrops innately mark my light pink t-shirt, I make my way inside and into the foyer.

Behind me, I hear Rio shut the door, though I can feel his gaze burning into the back of me. As for myself, glancing ahead at his living room for the first time, I don't even process the looks of it. I can't.

With the incessant pounding of my heart while I know what I'm about to tell Rio, all I note is that the surroundings are... cozy. Home-like.

"Talk to me, Isabel." Rio begins huskily behind me, but his tone is low. I hold my breath and turn to face him, seeing him remain next to his front door. I can tell he knows something's wrong. He still doesn't suppress the worry in his eyes.

My lips then draw apart, and I keep my eyes on him the entire time. "They found Peterson's body, Rio." I inform him softly.

I watch Rio's broad shoulders remain relaxed, though something shifts in his gaze instead.

"Vince told me right before I got here." I add, my eyes briefly dropping a moment while Rio stands in silence. "You're the only person I..." our eyes lock again, and it's then when I know I don't have to finish.

Rio's deep brown eyes rake over me, and I watch as his face softens the longer he stares. Then he begins in calm, deliberate steps in my direction. I stay in place.

When his taller frame stops just inches away from me, he looks into my eyes, skimming across either of them almost as if he's searching for something.

My chest just barely brushes against his with every breath I take. Rio then lifts up a hand only to push back the little bit of hair that was in my face; my blonde strands still vaguely wet from the rain as he then tucks it behind an ear.

My pulse thunders beneath his touch, when he breaks the hovering silence. "Let me take care of it." he whispers. In return I instantly shake my head.

"No. You're not fixing my problem, you can't." I make my way around him and walk towards the couch, distancing our proximity. "That's not why I came here."

"Our problem." Rio inputs, turning around to keep his gaze latched on mine. "I hid the body, Isabel. You may have shot him in defense, but I'm the one who clearly didn't do the best job at hiding him." Rio clenches his jaw a moment, and I didn't realize I halted in my pacing tracks until Rio claims the spot in front of me - standing tall and close once more.