Chapter 5

"One of the Good Ones"

Standing before the investigation wall in my office, my perceptive eyes haven't been able to tear away from the collection of red and blue strings across it's pinned surface.

I've thought a lot about the talk I intend to have with Rio, whenever that may be. In fact, the preparation of it has been tediously getting in the way of the team's investigation of the dangerous gang.

Every time someone says my name it snaps me out of it and I can barely latch onto what to say when they bring up the scene that occurred yesterday.

And thinking back at the fact that I did approach the gang's hideout, and lead my team away from our designated target, and lied to Vince and the rest of them - causes a chill to course down every bone.

Two months, I tell myself. Just two more months and it'll all be over.

A sudden, gentle knock on the door lulls me back to my surroundings; and I glance at my office door to see Vince push open the door. My partner steps inside.

"Everything alright?" I ask, turning towards his direction as he remains standing in front of the door he soon closes behind him. In his casual white button up shirt and black tie, Vince looks down to a file tight in his grip, before briefly sending me a nod in response and walking over towards me to hand me the file.

"We've put this together, should be where the gang is possibly headed next. Due to the investigation scenes taking place farther North each case..." I take the file into my hands, before opening it up and taking a look at it.

"You think they're headed North?" I question, looking up to meet Vince's serious brown eyes again.

"Possibly. Think you can look into it? I have this intoxicated high school student from last night the DEA wanted me to check." He explains.

In return I strictly incline my head in understanding, closing the file and taking it to my desk. "Of course. I'll let you know what I come up with, and we can decide what to do from there." I state, gathering my purse and jacket in preparation to head home.

"Sounds like a plan." I hear Vince say, noticing that he's still standing in the room. Then he clears his throat, while I finish taking up my stuff.

"How are you holding up?" He asks lowly. It's then when I lock onto his unreadable brown eyes, and I release a gentle breath.

"I'm good. Thanks." I say. "And you?"

Throughout the three years I've worked with Vince, as his investigation partner, he's held up this thick wall that surpasses the chance of anyone to see past if they wanted to talk about anything aside from work. He's just simply made this job his everything, I've come to gather.

And he portrays a strict way about himself, but he communicates with me. Sometimes he still displays the seriousness he keeps with him, but notes I see past it. And sometimes, I can even get a smile from the tough guy.

Vince releases a heavy sigh. "I'm managing." He responds, going to open my office door for me as I go to head out.

"Just remember it's okay to stop and breathe," I whisper, plastering a friendly smile as I walk past him, "don't let this craziness of a job sit on top of your shoulders, okay?"

After I lock the office door and Vince then follows behind me, I glance back over my shoulder to see his lips twitch.

"You got it, Costellanos." He states, before coming up to his own office door down the hall. "Have a good night." He says, as I send him another smile, continuing in my steps towards the double glass doors of the police station.