Chapter Five: Meeting Kenna

TWO MONTHS EARLIER

"I DON'T KNOW ANYONE HERE!" I shouted to Riven over the loud music.
"That's because they're all in my year." Riven told me. "Most are specialists but they're a few fairies here, too."
"Like who?" I questioned.
"Like..." Riven began to look around the room. What seemed like hundreds of people were dancing around us to the music at the party and all I could think about was leaving. "Her." My eyes followed Riven's finger over to a girl with dark hair. She had a contagious smile and she was dancing with several girls. "She's a fairy. I've seen her around Alfea."
"What's her name?"
"Like I know." Riven said before grabbing my hand and pulling me through crowds of people until we reached the door. When we got outside, I sighed with relief.

"Finally, we're leaving." I said.
"I came out here for a spliff." Riven told me. "You're welcome to join me." I thought to myself for a minute as Riven pulled a joint out of the inside of his jacket. He then lit it with his lighter and took a long drag before I took it from him. "That's more like it."
"It's the only way I'm gonna get through a summer with you." I joked before taking a drag. I took a another two before handing it back to him and we passed it back and forth until it was gone. By then, I couldn't stop laughing.

Riven was laughing at me as he sat me down and I leaned against the wall of the house. "I can see why you do it now." I smiled. "Sky wouldn't approve though."
"Well, Sky isn't here, is he?" Riven asked me.
"It's just weird not being with him." I frowned. "Especially after Stella broke up with him."
"Being dumped by Stella was the best thing that has ever happened to him. He just hasn't realised it yet." I nodded my head.
"I suppose you're right." I said. "She is nuts, that one."
"I completely agree." Riven smiled. "Did you want another drink?" I nodded my head. "I'll be right back."

Riven left me alone outside and my phone began to ring. Sky's name popped up on the screen and I answered the call. "Hello?" I asked.
"Hey, I was just wondering if you got there alright?" He asked down the phone.
"Yeah, we're here. Still intact."
"He's not driven you crazy yet, then?"
"There's been a few close calls." I laughed.
"Hey, where are you? It sounds kind of loud."
"Oh, Riv dragged me to some party. I know nobody here. I don't even recognise anyone from Alfea." I admitted.
"I bet you're starting to miss me, huh?" Sky asked. I could feel him smile through the phone.
"You wish." I told him as Riven reappeared outside with two drinks in his hands. He handed one of them to me and I thanked him before going back to Sky. "I've gotta go but we'll talk tomorrow, okay?"
"Okay. Just make sure you have a good time."
"No promises." I laughed before hanging up the phone and looking up at Riv. "Sky. He was just asking if we got here safely.
"No word from Miss Dowling?" Riv questioned. I shook my head.
"I'll be lucky if she even knows I left." I smiled as I stood up. "I know she cares about me and she says she loves me but work... Alfea... it's all more important."
"Then use this summer as an escape." Riven told me. "No guardians, no Sky to keep you in line. Just alcohol, music and a shit ton of drugs."

I sighed as I followed Riven back into the party. I was now in the party spirit. Before, I was standing around with the same drink in my hand for two hours but now I was ready to make the most of it. I only had two months before I would start learning how to use my magic at Alfea College. Being here with Riv was my one chance at freedom. "I'm gonna go to the toilet." I told the boy as I handed him my drink.
"Breaking the seal already?" He questioned.
"Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do." I smiled before walking off from him.

It took a while but I eventually found the toilet. Luckily, there was no queue and I was in and out. I immediately started to look for Riven and I searched for what seemed like an hour before I found him chatting up two girls in the corner. "Typical." I sighed.
"Boyfriend?" A girl asked me.
"Just a friend." I said before turning to look at her. It was the girl Riven had pointed out earlier that night. "Best friend, actually."
"Yeah, well, you're way out of his league, anyway." The girl smiled. "I'm Kenna."
"Eira." I replied.
"That's pretty. It suits you." She told me. I turned my head away as I blushed at the girl's comment. "So are you a fairy?"
"Snow fairy." I said. "I start Alfea in September."
"I go to Alfea." Kenna grinned. "I'm starting as a second year next term. Fire fairy. I know it seems cliche, a fire fairy with a name that literally means born of fire."
"I like it." I admitted. "And if it's any constellation, Eira means snow."
"Check us out with real original names." Kenna laughed. "Do you want to go somewhere quiet? I don't know many people here and parties like this aren't really my thing."
"Yeah... sure." I smiled.

***

"So how come you're here?" I asked Kenna as we sat down outside. "Why are you at a party if you don't really like them?"
"Do you want me to be honest?" She asked me. I nodded. "I just wanted an excuse to get you alone so I could talk to you without the music and a bunch of horny teenagers grinding against each other around us." I didn't know what to say so I took a sip of my new drink instead.
"Sorry, I don't know how to start conversations with people I've just met." I admitted, sounding nervous. "Sky always says I can be socially awkward."
"Is Sky your boyfriend?" Kenna asked. I shook my head. "Is there a boyfriend?"
"No. I am very much single." I told the girl. "What about you? Have you got a boyfriend?"
"They aren't exactly my type." Kenna said.
"So what is your type?" I asked.
"I like girls." The girl told me. "Specifically ones with bronde hair and hazel eyes." I could feel my cheeks turning pink as they burnt up. "So tell me something about yourself."
"What would you like to know?"
"Anything. How many siblings have you got? Your favourite colour. Your mum? Dad? Anything." The girl grinned. I thought for a moment.
"Well, let's see... I'm an only child, my favourite colour is blue and-"
"What kind of blue?" Kenna asked, interrupted me. I laughed. "I get details."
"Periwinkle blue." I smiled.

"There you are!" I turned around to see Riven approaching us and he was either stoned or drunk, maybe a little bit of both. "I've been looking for you for like... five minutes."
"Well, you found me." I told him.
"We've got to go." The boy then said. "We've been invited to an after party... party... thing."
"Can't you see I'm in the middle of a conversation?" I asked him. He just stared at me.
"It's okay." Kenna smiled at me. "Go."
"Are you sure?" I asked her. "I was finally starting to have fun at this thing."
"Tell you what." The girl then said as she took my phone from my hand and began to type something. "Why don't you take my number and give me a call?"
"Okay, yeah." I smiled. "I'll call you."
"Eira, come on." Riven complained. I stood up and waved goodbye to Kenna before approaching my friend.
"You so owe me for this one." I told the boy.