Chapter Twenty-Two: A Sudden Realisation

"So you never actually told me how you found out you were a fairy anyway." I told Bloom as we left our suite.
"I got in a fight with my mom, accidentally set fire to my house." She said. "My mom was covered in third degree burns." I frowned. "I wouldn't sleep at home after that, I would stay at this abandoned building until Miss Dowling found me. They think Alfea is a boarding school in Switzerland."
"Do you think you'll ever tell them the truth?" I questioned.
"I don't know. Everything would be a lot easier if I did. It's just-"
"You don't know how they'll react?" Bloom nodded. "I know you want answers Bloom but no matter what, they are your parents and they love you."
"I know." She said.
"Besides... I know what it's like to lose control over your magic." I admitted. "At the beginning of the summer, I accidentally froze someone and I couldn't undo it."
"What happened?" Bloom asked me.
"She asked me to show her some of my magic so I turned to canteen into an ice skating rink, she fell over and when I went to help her up, she just froze. She was a statue of ice." I explained. "Dowling and Silva were the only one's who knew. They helped me out that night and didn't tell anyone. Apart from Stella, she found out somehow."
"Was the girl okay?"
"Yeah. Farah found a way to unfreeze her and her dad came and picked her up that night."
"That doesn't like sound like people who massacred an entire village." Bloom frowned.
"Well, that's why we're here, isn't it?" I questioned. "To get answers."

We were now outside the east wing where Beatrix was being kept. "There's Dowling." I whispered before pulling Bloom behind a car as Dowling and Silva exited the building that was being guarded by specialists. Bloom then started to write something in her notes and I gasped when something tapped me on the shoulder.
"Late night stroll?" Dane questioned.
"Hmm?"
"Yeah." Bloom said, nervously. "I needed some air and Eira didn't want me coming out alone since... you know... it's dark out."
"Exactly." I said, going along with it.
"I know what you're doing." Dane told us.
"You don't know anything." Bloom replied.
"You want to talk to her, don't you? Beatrix? I can help you."
"What do you mean?" I asked him.
"My guard shift is tomorrow night. Maybe you'll need some air then too." Dane said before walking away from us.
"Well, that was a bust." I sighed.
"Not exactly." Bloom told me. "At least now... we have a way in."

***

"Could you tell me something about her? I barely know anything."
"Another time, dear."

"It's just being at Alfea, as a student, it just- it makes me want to learn more about my parents."
"I'm really busy, Eira."
"There you go again. You always dodge the question. Every time I ask my mum and dad you find a way to avoid it. I know nothing!"
"I promise I will tell you about them. I'm just really busy right now."

"I was wondering if you knew my mum and dad. They went to school here and my mum was friends with Farah."
"Isn't that something Miss Dowling could tell you?"
"She won't tell me anything."
"Eira, I really thing you should talk to her about it."

"How come you're out here?"
"Just thinking."
"About?"
"My parents. How is it that I'm surrounded by people who knew them yet nobody can tell me anything about them? It doesn't make sense."
"Maybe that's because there's something there that Miss Dowling doesn't want you to know."

"My parents died when I was a baby. I know what it's like not to know who your parents are."
"But at least you have people who can tell you about them."
"And yet I know nothing."

"I borrowed this from Terra's dad. I was wondering if you could show me my parents?"
"Eira."
"No, don't do that. I don't know anything. I've never even seen a picture of them. I just want to know if look like my mother."
"Eira, you won't find anything in there."

"Can I at least see a photo?"
"I'm afraid I don't have one on me."

"She could be my mum right?"
"Erm... I guess if look at it from an angle you have the same nose."
"This is pathetic. I'm never going to get anywhere by looking at pictures."
"Do you not have names?"
"I know their first names. Tegan and Jace."
"What about their last names? Is it not the same as yours?"
"Farah legally adopted me when they died. My last name isn't the same as theirs."
"That's all she gave you?"
"That's all anyone gave me."

***

I shot up in my bed and stared straight ahead at the wall. Those moments replayed in my head over and over again. I looked over at Stella'a empty bed and sighed. Something was not adding up. After the incident at Aster Dell, Me, Bloom and Beatrix being orphaned so close together, was uncanny. Surely it couldn't be a coincidence.

I shot up out of bed. I quickly pulled on some clothes and I left the suite before walking around the school to find Miss Dowling. I got to her suite and I took a deep breath as I raised my hand to knock on the door. But, then I stopped. I had promised Bloom that I wouldn't say anything. If Farah really had Rosalind imprisoned, it would be best if she didn't know that we know. Even if I was desperate for answers. 

Miss Dowling has been lying to me.