Chapter Eleven: The Breakup

TWO WEEKS EARLIER

"Okay, so you're an Aries." I smiled as I looked down at my magazine. "It says that you are. Eager, passionate, independent and competitive... Oh, and would you look at that. Most compatible with Sagittarius... Lucky me."
"Don't tell me you believe in all that?" Kenna smiled as she turned around to face me.
"I like to compare." I said. "What's wrong with that?"
"Nothing." The girl laughed as she leaned down and kissed me before taking the magazine and throwing it aside.
"Hey, I wasn't done." I told her.
"Yes. You. Are." The girl grinned as she leaned into me again.

I moved back on the bed as we kissed and we continued to do this for several minutes before she moved to my ear and down to my neck. "I-I've never..." I said. Kenna then stopped and looked at me.
"Do you want to?" She asked me. Before I had a chance to answer, my phone started to ring.
"I'm sorry." I said as I picked it up. "It's Sky. I promised I would call him... I can call him back." I added when I saw the girl frown.
"No, answer it." She told me. I nodded my head and put the phone to my ear.

"Hey, Sky. What's up?"
"I just needed to express how bored I am. How much longer until the start of term?"
"Two weeks." I smiled. "How are you doing with the whole Stella thing?"
"Well, we haven't spoken all summer so that's one thing."
"You need to move on from her, Sky."
"It's not as easy at seems." He sighed before changing the subject. "Are you with Riv?"
"No, I'm not actually." I grinned.
"Are you with Kenna?"
"Yeah, I am."
"Well, I'll leave you to it." Sky said. "And if you see Riven, tell him to call me."
"Okay, yeah." I smiled. "We'll talk soon."

I hung up the phone and dropped it onto Kenna's bed. "I'm sorry, he's just bored out of his mind." I told the girl. "I usually spend-"
"Every summer with him." Kenna sighed. "I'm bored of hearing about him."
"What's that supposed to to mean?" I questioned.
"It means that every time we're together he calls you or you call him. You always have to talk about him." Kenna explained.
"He's my best friend."
"I get that, I do. But people would you you were dating him and not me."
"But I am dating you."
"Just tell me now so I don't find out later down the line." Kenna said. "Are you in love with him?" My lips parted.
"How could you even ask me that?" I asked her. "You don't see me asking you if you're in love with your friends, do you?"
"I'm not the one always talking about my friends when we're together."
"I like you, Kenna." I told her. "I really like you."
"Yeah, and I like you, too." She replied. "But you're in love with someone else."

Tears were filling my eyes as a lump formed in the of my throat. "Kenna, please." I whispered.
"I think you should go." She told me.
"Okay." I said. "Fine. We'll talk about it at school."
"Actually... I think it would be best if we don't." Were the last words Kenna said to me before I left the room.

***

"Finally. I'm fucking bored." Riven sighed as I sat beside him on the sofa. "You alright?"
"We just broke up." I said.
"Do you want to talk about it?"
"Please. You don't know the first thing about giving advice." I told him.
"But I do know how to cure heartbreak." The boy then disappeared into the kitchen and came back with a bottle of vodka. "Drink?"
"Please." I said.

Riven poured us both a shot of vodka and we drank it before he immediately started pouring us some more. "I'm sorry I haven't been spending much time with you this summer." I told him. "I did come here for you."
"We still have two more weeks. Might as well make the most of them." Riven said. "I'm still kind of surprised Dowling let you come in the first place."
"It was her idea." I told him. "I mean, obviously I had mentioned it before but she told me to come." We then took another shot. "Fuck! I just can't believe her!"
"Miss Dowling?"
"Kenna." I said. Another shot. "Why must relationships be so difficult?"
"Tell me about it." Riven sighed. "Just once, I'd like to have someone like me for me."
"You never give girls the chance." I laughed as I poured another shot and drank it. "You always have to put on this little bad boy act for everyone except me."
"That's because none of the others matter." Riven said softly.

I took a another shot. "And don't even get me started on Sky." I frowned. "I mean, what does he even see in Stella? She blinds her best friend, on purpose I might add, for even talking to Sky. Then she breaks up with him and he can't get over her? That girl is bonkers." This time I drank straight from the bottle. Riven hadn't said anything in a few minutes. "Promise me you'll stay away from the crazy ones?" I asked him. He looked up at me.
"I can't promise that." He said.
"Why not?"
"Because all girls are crazy. In their own way, at least. And that means... I have to stay away from you." I then smiled.
"I'm the only exception." I told the boy before handing him the bottle. He drank from it and placed it on the coffee table.

Riven then took a deep breath before looking me in the eye. "I love you, Eira." He said.
"Aw, I love you too, Riv." I smiled.
"No, like I love you." He repeated. "I'm in love with you."
"Riven." I said, frowning slightly.
"Stop. I know what you're going to say." He frowned. I held my breath as I thought for a moment. I'm not sure what I was thinking about exactly but it wasn't about my next move. I leaned forward and kissed the boy on his lips, softly. My hands cupped around his cheeks as his rose and he placed them on my waist.

The kiss then grew more heated and I found myself unbuttoning my top before sliding it off of my shoulders. I then moved my hands down Riven's chest and I started to pull his top up, breaking the kiss as I pulled it over his head. "Are you sure you want to do this?" He asked me. I nodded my head and he kissed me again before lying me down with body hovering over mine.