Chapter Seven: The Parent Question

I made my way to the specialists hall when I left the Stone Circle. There was something I liked about watching the specialists train and I needed to talk to Sky about Stella. I found them both watching a girl called Kat, fighting with a new student, Dane. "Sweep the leg!" Riv exclaimed in a whisper as I found myself standing beside Sky. I then watched as Dane was floored and Kat smiled as she held his arm behind his back.
"Could you try being 50% less of a dick?" Sky asked Riven.
"Well, I'd be 50% less fun."
"Remember what a lost cause you were last year?"
"I remember." I smiled. "Two black eyes and a sprained ankle, I think it was. Day one."
"What do you want, a handy for taking me under your wing?" Riven asked. "I thought my friendship was reward enough."
"It is." Sky smiled as he began to walk away.
"Wait, Sky. I need to talk to you." I told the boy.
"In a minute. I need to talk to Stella." That was when I noticed her approaching us and Sky ran up to her.

"So it's true then." I sighed. "Stella did spend the night with Sky."
"I cannot believe he's going back there again." Riven admitted. I nodded.
"Tell me about it." I frowned as I watched the two of them talking in the distance. "I just- I don't understand what he sees in her."
"Sounds like somebody's jealous." The boy smiled.
"I am not jealous." I claimed. "I'm just concerned."
"Because that's so believable." I hit the boys arm and he turned to face Dane who had approached us before grabbing his phone from his bag.
"On that note." I smiled before hitting the boy's arm gently. "I shall leave you to it."

I cut across the grass to the path where Stella and Sky were currently talking and I rolled my eyes before walking further along the lawn until I was far enough away from them. I then made my way to Miss Dowling's office where her assistant let me in. I found her sitting at her desk and I sat down in the chair opposite. "I'm sorry about the way I reacted earlier." I told the woman. "It's just being at Alfea, as a student, it just- it makes me want to learn more about my parents."
"I'm really busy, Eira." Miss Dowling replied.
"There you go again." I frowned. "You always dodge the question. Every time I ask my mum and dad you find a way to avoid it. I know nothing!"
"I promise I will tell you about them." Farah claimed. "I'm just really busy right now."
"Fine." I stated as I stood up. "If you won't tell me then I'll find someone who will."

***

"So, here's what we should do." Aisha said as she and Musa sat down with me, Terra and Bloom at lunch. "Maybe we can make a list of emotional triggers-"
"Aisha, um, I appreciate what you're doing, but I can figure this out on my own." Bloom told the girl.
"I'm sure. I just think you might be in your head about the whole changeling stuff and overthinking."
"Wait. You're a changeling?" I asked Bloom.
"Now everyone knows." Bloom sighed.
"Is that why you were freaking out at the vessel?" Terra questioned. "That makes so more sense. That's gonna be the easiest assignment we'll have, and... I'm making it worse." The girls finished when she saw Musa using hand signals to tell her to stop.
"Hey, are you okay?" Musa then asked me.
"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. "Why?"
"You just seem kind of angry and tense."
"Yeah, I guess it's just... first day and all that." I told her.

It wasn't long after that when Stella approached our table with Sky. She placed a map in front of us and smiled. "We have a plan to get my ring back." She told us.
"What's this?" Musa asked as she looked at the map.
"It's Alfea." Terra said. "The little dotted line is the barrier, and that's Crag Creek. Wind Meadow! When I was a kid, I'd spend every-"
"Great story, Ter." Stella said sarcastically.
"No, it's a really good story. Listen." Terra told us as Sky sat down at the table beside Bloom, who's face immediately changed as Stella stared at them. "So I used to go and practice my magic by trying to swirl leaves into this little fab cyclone thing."

I began to zone out as Terra continued with her story. I was staring into space thinking about what Farah had told me about my parents. I knew their names and how they died. Nothing more. Then it hit me. There was someone else who could tell me something about my parents. "I have to go." I stated as I stood up.
"Eira, are you okay?" Sky questioned. I nodded my head quickly.
"Yeah, I just remembered that I'm supposed to be having lunch with my godmother. Best not be late." I told him as I climbed off of the bench.
"Aren't you going to help me find my ring?" Stella questioned.
"Uh, yeah." I said. "Just text me the when and the place and I'll be there."

***

"Mr Silva!" I exclaimed as I ran up to the man in the courtyard as he was leaving the specialists hall. "Can I talk to you for a second?"
"Sure, Eira. What is it?" The man asked me as we stopped walking.
"You attended Alfea at the same time as Miss Dowling, right?" I asked him.
"I did, yes."
"I was wondering if you knew my mum and dad. They went to school here and my mum was friends with Farah."
"Isn't that something Miss Dowling could tell you?"
"She won't tell me anything." I frowned.
"Eira, I really thing you should talk to her about it." Silva said before sighing. "I'm off to get some lunch unless there is something else I can help you with?"
"No, that's it." I said. Silva nodded and walked away from me before I found myself sat on the steps outside of the specialist hall.

After a few minutes, I saw a familiar face leaving the fairy hall and he approached me. "Where have you been?" I asked him. "I didn't see you in the canteen."
"If I told you, I'd have to kill you." Riven smiled before sitting beside me. "How come you're out here?"
"Just thinking." I told him.
"About?"
"My parents." I said. "How is it that I'm surrounded by people who knew them yet nobody can tell me anything about them? It doesn't make sense."
"Maybe that's because there's something there that Miss Dowling doesn't want you to know."
"Like what?" I questioned. "One thing. That's all I ask for. I'd be happy knowing my mum's favourite colour or my dad's favourite sport. I guess Sky's lucky in that department. He has all these people always telling him about how great his dad was. I just get pushed to the side whenever I ask about mine."
"Eira?"
"What?" I questioned.
"It's snowing."

I sighed as I leaned back on the steps and propped myself up with my elbows. "Maybe Farah was right. Maybe I do need to stick with the basics."
"Now look who's starting to sound like a first year me." Riven smiled. "Come on, Eira, you're good at magic. You just need a little more confidence."
"Did you just give me a compliment?" I grinned.
"I always compliment you."
"I meant a compliment that wasn't about my boobs or my arse."
"Yeah, well, don't get used to it."
"Aw." I smiled. "You know, you've been spending way fo much time with Sky. You're even starting to sound like him now."
"Yeah, yeah." Riven sighed. "But, look. It stopped snowing."