𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

FOUR

( TRIGGER WARNING )

_____

      There was always this nagging that occurred inside of Sayo's mind whenever she felt like she interacted with someone too much, like someone opening the lock that held her insides then pulling it open to present everything that she hid inside of her. She felt fear for every question directed towards her, while she responded with vague answers right back. Although along the way, each question was just a portion of acquiring an answer that they wanted to hear.

      And before Sayo could even realize it, even with each answer that didn't really seem to tell a lot about herself – she had already given out too much.

      Perhaps that was the reason why she couldn't hold a conversation long enough for it to even be called a proper one, and it was because she was too cautious of allowing others to gain her trust.

      Sayo was no fool; she knew that her mother would leave her at some point, so forming new relationships only meant that she would have to go through the process of letting go once again.

      And Sayo didn't want that to happen.

      She was completely content with the way the cold bottle in between her palm being the only comfort that brought her. The way the almost transparent hairs on her skin rising up and the numbing pull that occurred beneath the skin of face, happening right after a few satisfying sips was the only kind of hold that she needed.

      The liquid was cold, trickling down her throat that had gotten used to its bitter flavor and the strong wave of warmth across her whole body hugged her – and she liked it the way it was. It was similar to the warm embrace that her mother gave her, but this kindof embrace pulled away all of the worries that occupied her mind, though only temporarily.

      And although it was only temporary, she was alright with that, because it was better than it swarming her mind each and every day.

      So, as she hands the cashier the coins that had turned warm in her hands, her lips pulled up the slightest when he hands the heavy paper bag to her. She turns around heads towards the outside where the smell of fresh air along with faint traces of lingering smoke coming from the distant cars brought her to the present.

      The present wherein bitter things that she used to hate as a child, had now turned to one of the only things that she depended on.

      She sat down on one of the benches outside of the convenience store, popping the bottle open with the corner of the wooden table that created a dent before taking a small swig. She had learned to ignore the way its liquid uncomfortably scratched the tissues inside her throat, and waited for its effects.

      "Sayo-san."

      Her shoulders perked up slightly at the sudden mention of her name coming from a voice she wasn't sure if she was familiar with. Although she felt like she's heard it before, she doesn't seem to remember talking to anyone at school this week or the previous ones.

      She turned her head and was greeted by the fairly-tall boy who had peculiar light-grey hair with its tips turned black, standing all confidently and holding an almost intimidating aura – well, it would have been intimidating if Sayo didn't hold the same aura as well.