𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

FIFTEEN
_____

       It was another day of where Sayo sat peaceful on her seat, holding in her hand her black plastic phone that was slightly cracked, and also had a few stickers at the back cover. She glances up from the bench then takes in the serene atmosphere along with the quiet hums of the buzzing bees, before lifting her hand up to snap a picture.

She sighs lightly before looking at the picture shown on her phone – it was a grainy image that presented her the Wisterias that framed the image with the small stone steps at the bottom of the picture, and she raised her brow when she sees the familiar light-grey-haired boy who also happened to be seen in the picture.

Sayo blinked and stared down at the boy in the picture who was carefully looking down at his steps, his dark lashes could be seen even with how grainy the picture appeared. He had his hands clasping the straps of his lunch box that slung over his shoulders, but what surprised her was the small smile that he had on his face.

"Hello, Sayo."

She jolted in her seat, almost dropping her phone on the ground in the process before looking up at the boy who stared down at her with his relaxed facial features. He tilts his head when he catches a glimpse of the picture in her phone.

"Oh uh, hey Shinsuke." Sayo nods, pressing the button on the side of her phone before placing it inside her pocket. She then furrows her brows as took a sat right beside her like he usually does almost every lunch.

It had slowly become a ritual that the two of them religiously followed, basking in each other's company and comfort despite it being silent most of the time. They would exchange a few words here and there and sometimes, Sayo would banter with him while Shinsuke would only answer with honest responses that sometimes landed critical hits on her pride.

It was still fun.

Today, it did not rain and everything felt neutral to Sayo even with the Sun shining happily down at everyone, emitting a natural positive energy that they all appreciated. While, Sayo longed for the rain that hugged her like a cold blanket. But Sayo was perhaps one of the most pessimistic persons that she ever knew, though it's not like she knew a lot of people in the first place.

Today, she was not happy but she also wasn't feeling sad at all – maybe it was the continuous pain that had numbed her heart, with each ache that she felt previously was something that she barely even felt anymore. It was waiting to be replaced with something much more painful before she would be able to feel something properly again.

"Sayo."

Sayo lifted her gaze up from the ground to look at the boy who had just called her name before asking, "What?"

"Why are you not eating?" Shinsuke asks then places a spoonful of rice in his mouth whilst looking at the girl who looked at his lunch intently. He narrows his eyes when she tries to subtly bring her hand over her stomach, before she instantly moved it away.

"Don't have food today." Sayo shrugged, thinking back to her mother who appeared much sickly and who can barely even stand anymore. She frowns at the mental image and felt her lips pull down – as cruel as it sounds, she was already preparing herself for when she would let go.

It always brought an ache in her chest even just merely thinking about it, but she knew that her mother would go and she wanted to try to accept that fact. Even if it was a fact that could hurt her more than anything else, because she was the only family that she had along with her aunt that was trying her best to pay for her mother's medicines.

Before Shinsuke could think it over, he asks, "Why?" He winces right after then looks at Sayo who seemed unfazed at his question – he thought she would have at least told him off for being a bit too straight-forward, that it almost came off as nosy.

"It's simple. I don't have money." Sayo answers quietly, turning her body to the left to play with the lilac-colored flowers that fell on the space right beside her, running her thumb and index finger with the buds placed between her two fingers.

She felt him tug the bottom of her shirt and she turned back to look at Shinsuke who had his lunch in his hand, with his arm holding it was extended towards her. He motions down to the food that was left before saying, "Eat."

Her lips parted, "But,"

He shook his head firmly and left no room for any arguments then said, "No. You have to eat if you want to be able to concentrate in classes. I already left you some, so eat all of it." He holds it out towards her while Sayo reluctantly accepts it.

She glances down at the pork cutlets and rice then at Shinsuke who was waiting for her to eat it then cleared her throat, "I uh- I don't have any utensils. Do you have extra?" She grimaces then waits for him to pull out a spoon out of his lunch bag, then handed it to her.

"Thanks." Sayo mutters then reluctantly shoves a spoonful of the food inside her mouth, feeling her chest heave up and down at the awkwardness that enveloped her. Though, when she tasted the sweet sauce that came along with the savory cutlet, her shoulders perked up at the delicious taste that surrounded her buds.

Soon enough, she found herself wolfing down the food before she halted when she heard a laugh sounding right beside her. She slowly looks up from her food to see that Shinsuke had his eyes crinkled up with his lips pulled up as he released deep and silent laughs.

"Oi, what are you laughing at?" Sayo's voice came out muffled with the food that was inside her mouth, giving him a glare.

Shinsuke only breathed out and shook his head before answering, "A minute ago, you claimed that you did not want my food. I can never seem to understand you."

"Shut up." Sayo grumbles and continues eating the food that was left inside the container, though this time, slower.

"Sayo."

She looks up from the food once again and send him a flat look, though his face had already contorted back to its usual expression. She finishes up the food and places the lid over the container, locking it then wiping her mouth with a tissue.

"What, Shinsuke?" Sayo asked, handing him back his container while he places it inside his bag.

"My Granny wants to meet you." He answered, while Sayo immediately coughed upon hearing his words, choking on her own saliva that seemed to clog itself in the middle of her throat. She balled her right hand to a fist and hit her chest repeatedly before calming down.

She looks back Shinsuke who was looking at her with masked worry while she breathes out deeply, "Do you need water?"

"No, I-" Sayo paused from her words and looked at him, who seemed as relaxed as ever, as if he did not just indirectly admit that he talked about her to his grandmother. She sighs then mutters repeatedly, "Idiot. You're such an idiot, Shinsuke."

Shinsuke stared at her, unimpressed and asked, "What, why?"

"How are you not nervous?" She asks him incredulously.

He only continues to stare at her unwaveringly then answers with a question, "Why would I be?"

She gapes at him before sighing defeatedly, "I- you know what? When is it?"

"On Saturday."

"On Saturday. Okay."

_____