𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘

THIRTY
_____

       Today, the clouds cried once again.

Whisps of winds blowing against the vibrant green leaves as they danced along with it, and cement grounds flooded with rain water glimmered against the artificial lights. Sayo walked to school this day with an umbrella in hand – there were a few holes on its thin fabric but she continued on whilst paying no mind to the drops that bounced on her arms, as well as the ones that fell through the little holes of her umbrella.

She breathed out and allowed a smile to appear on her lips as she felt the wind brush past her neck for the first time in a long while. Her long dark hair was now cut until a little below her jaw, and she felt the small weight remove from her head.

It was more of an impulsive decision when she decided to spend her money that she rarely used on her hair. The day before this, she found herself staring in front of the mirror only to frown at the strands of hair that lay unappealingly on her shoulders, so she decided to go to a cheap salon.

It has been a few days since she has talked to Shinsuke and she started to feel a little disconnected towards him. The thought of the food that he had prepared for her still brought a little flutter inside her exhausted heart, but she still could not bring herself to talk to him right after his words that hurt her.

She did not know until when this would drag on, but she hoped that she would be able to speak with him properly once again.

Entering the grounds of Inarizaki, she padded her feet rapidly when she heard the rain start to pour down faster when the droplets grew heavier and larger. She released a sigh and closed her umbrella the moment she was able to get inside the building, then placing it inside a small rack that was meant for holding the wet umbrellas.

As Sayo began wiping her arms and legs with a spare towel that she brought, she heard a familiar voice call out, "Sayo-chan! Let's walk to class together!"

Gian was someone who she found herself sharing short conversations with recently, and it honestly made her feel proud for finally being able to make a friend that is a girl. Most of her friends and acquaintances were guys, which were some people from the volleyball team, and she could not speak to them as comfortably because of their differences in interest.

They were just different and there were things that she could not talk with them about.

"Oh, sure." Sayo nodded and began walking alongside her new-found friend. Gian suddenly released a gasp, causing Sayo to jolt in surprise as they walked, the dark-haired girl asked, "What? What's happening?"

"Your hair!" Gian exclaimed and brought a hand up to pinch a few strands of Sayo's hair between her fingers. The sudden loud exclamation caught the attention of other students along the halls, causing Sayo to give an embarrassed and tired sigh. Gian repeated, "Your hair is short now, it suits you!"

"Shh, keep it down, and thank you-"

       Sayo stopped in the middle of speaking when she makes eye-contact with the homely brown eyes that she gotten used to admiring. Shinsuke's lips parted upon landing his eyes on her appearance, irises dilating when he the moment he sees a small smile as she spoke with her friend.

        He paused in the middle of the hall with the students passing by his sides, ignoring his strange actions, and his breath hitched when their eyes made contact with each other. He parted his lips to call for her name, but no sound came out when his mind reminded him that she did not want to speak with him at the moment. So, he closed his mouth reluctantly once again with a frown taking over right after.