𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

TWENTY-NINE
_____

        It was the next day when the leaves were plucked by the winds, dropping itself down on the dusty ground before it would eventually fin itself squished underneath someone's shoe. The Sun shone bright against everyone's faces and it brought joy to the people because the sky did not cry with rain water, and it was not dim that unconsciously affected everyone's mood – leaving the with a slightly somber atmosphere that they did not appreciate.

       Sayo walked to school that day, and she did not let a smile play out on her lips just like she usually did. There was something that told other people that the way she was right now, was just not the same as the unbothered Sayo that they always saw.

        They were so used to seeing the deadpanned expression plastered all over her face that slowly morphed into features that presented one of happiness – ang perhaps, love. It brought a shock to them when they saw her lips pull up the slightest upon entering the classroom, and it looked as if she did not notice her own actions.

        Hell, they were actually able to form minimal conversations with her a few times within that timeframe.

        But today, it was different.

         The smallest of smiles that they would see from her face lately had disappeared. It was back to the lips relaxed to a thin line that almost curved down. They had once again witnessed her dull eyes instead of the glimmering one that presented the positive kind of 'unbothered'. And this time, there were small lines and red hues underlining her eyes that told them that this was different from her aloof personality.

         Gian turned her head away from her friends that were chatting the moment Sayo entered the classroom, immediately noticing the tired look that she tried to mask. She looked down on the strawberry milk in her hand along with a small note of apology, before deciding to head towards her.

         Sayo slumped down on her seat lazily, then hooking the straps of her bag over the rest of her chair before looking up to see the familiar girl who she previously projected her annoyance to. The blond-haired girl cleared her throat awkwardly while Sayo crossed her arms, looking up at her blankly.

         Sayo opened her mouth, "What? Do you need someone to clean after you again?" She quirked her brow with a small smirk then leaning her back against the chair, continuing, "Busy shopping with friends later to do your job?"

         Gian flinched at her blunt words, shaking her head slowly while holding up the pink carton in her hand to extend it towards her nervously. Sayo simply looked at it in curiosity and a little bit of interest, waiting for her to continue speaking.

         "Listen uh- I'm sorry for being inconsiderate and making you do all of the cleaning w-when it was clearly something that I was supposed to do. Please accept this as token of my apology." Gian placed the pink carton over Sayo's table as well as the small note.

        She releases a small light gasp along with an excited grin when she sees Sayo punch the straw on the hole, taking a sip of the sweet liquid.

       Sayo simply shrugged and replied, "It's fine. You understand your mistake, yeah? Then that's enough." She raised the carton of strawberry milk and added with a short nod, "Thanks. This is good." 

         Gian's eyes widened in surprise upon hearing her words then muttered, "Why are you so nice?"

         "I'm not nice. I'm just trying to be a decent human being and accepting your apology." Sayo answered, finishing up the strawberry milk quickly then adding, "It takes a lot of courage to admit your own mistakes and swallowing your pride."