Chapter 9: Imperial Interlude

"Don't push me!" Obi-Wan whispered harshly as Anakin shoved the older Jedi away from the vent. Skywalker waved a hand and dismissed his former master absentmindedly, while entranced in the exchange occurring below. "If I won't be able to see what's going on, you should at least narrate what seems to be happening," Kenobi continued nagging.

   "I'll tell you if you'd be quiet!" Anakin whisper-shouted. Obi-Wan put one hand up in defeat since they were restricted to crawling on their hands and knees. "I see around ten- no fourteen- Stormtroopers and Commander Appo. One of them has a briefcase."

   Skywalker continued to monitor the group below him as he tried to make sense of the questions plaguing him. Why did Sidious send Appo to Alderaan? Did he sense I was on the planet? Appo aided me, or Vader, during the march on the Jedi Temple. Is this some sort of joke? Some Sith humor I never learned about? Palpatine almost ruined my life. I won't let him finish the job.

   Just then, a dark presence rattled the Force. Obi-Wan felt it and grew anxious. Emperor Palpatine had arrived. The Dark Side surrounded Anakin and reminded him that he swore himself to the Sith. A promise is a promise. It told him. You belong to us now. Skywalker's head pounded, and he couldn't form complete thoughts. He crawled away from the air intake and pressed two fingers into his temples.

   Not knowing how to react, Kenobi asked, "Are you alright?" Of course, Anakin is not alright! Obi-Wan's mind chastised him. The Dark Side was eating away Skywalker's resolve, easing Darth Vader from his mental prison.

   When the Chosen One did not respond, Kenobi decided that his young friend needed to get somewhere safe. Sidious's presence was too strong for him to handle. Obi-Wan guessed the Dark Side never fully released its grip on Skywalker.

——————————
   Below the Jedi, the Senators and Stormtroopers moved to a more formal setting to await the arrival of the esteemed Emperor. Padmé shuddered as a cold breeze shot through the room as the ruler of the First Galactic Empire strode into the room.

   "Good evening Senators," his raspy voice sounded like metal scraping against metal, "I'm sure Commander Appo alerted you to my situation. Now, just sign the documents here, and then I would like to speak with Senator Amidala. Alone."

   The Senators from Alderaan and Naboo complied with the Emperor's demands. Defiance now wouldn't lead to any sort of change. Rather, the Rebels would be executed for treason. Padmé remembered when Chancellor Palpatine announced himself as the Emperor of the First Galactic Empire. So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause, she had whispered to herself as her fellow senators denounced the Jedi Order and hailed their new Emperor as a hero. However, some Senators now began to realize what their new Empire entailed and gravitated towards the growing Rebellion.

   As Padmé and Emperor Palpatine strolled through the Royal Alderaanian Palace Gardens, the Emperor began his light interrogation. "How do you like returning to Naboo?"

   "It's nice to be back home," the Senator breathed. Her maternity leave had been a blessing, offering some time to relax with Anakin and the twins, but Padmé missed the bright lights and bustling skies of  Coruscant.

   "Good. Good," Palpatine croaked, "How are your children? It's a shame they never met their father."

   Padmé was extremely discreet about her relationship with Anakin, but the Jedi had told the Sith Lord everything. "The twins are alright." Force Anakin! How could you have trusted him? she thought.

   Sidious waited for Padmé to continue, but the pair walked silently for a few minutes. Finally, the Emperor broke the stifling quiet.

——————————
   "Are you alright?" C-3PO asked as Obi-Wan Kenobi dragged Jedi Knight Skywalker into his room. The Jedi Master ignored the protocol droid's inquiry and instead ordered Threepio to fetch a glass of water for his unconscious friend.

   Anakin stirred as Kenobi closed the thick curtains blocking out the light of the full moon. "What happened?" He asked, dazed, realizing he wasn't in the ventilation system anymore.

   "You fell unconscious shortly before Darth Sidious arrived," Obi-Wan recalled, "I brought you here to rest."

   Skywalker tried to stand and shakily made his way towards the refresher. He attempted to steady himself by latching into a small stool, but his knees buckled and the stool crashed to the floor. Luke began crying, and Kenobi rushed to aid his best friend. However, Anakin growled, "I'm fine," and pushed aside the extra help.

   Obi-Wan stepped back, appalled by his former Padawan's behavior. Anakin stumbled towards the crib and picked up Luke as C-3PO asked for the umpteenth time, "Master Ani, are you alright?"

   Tired of the droid's incessant chatter, Skywalker shouted, "I'm fine! Why does everyone keep asking me that?"

   At his father's outburst, Luke began to cry even louder. He grew fearful of the bright yellow eyes of the Sith staring down at him. The newborn squeezed his eyes shut and wailed even louder.

   Registering his son's cries, Anakin's eyes returned to their bright blue state. "Shh, it's alright, Lukey. I'm here. You're safe," he comforted softly. Remembering the present from Breha, Skywalker sat down on the foot of his bed and used the Force to float the stuffed nerf towards him. Anakin manipulated the toy to dance in the air, entrancing Luke and lulling him to sleep. Eventually, the newborn drifted off to sleep as the stuffed creature dropped with a soft thump onto the floor.

   Obi-Wan shut down the annoying protocol droid and walked over to Anakin as he placed his son in the crib. "What did I tell you about abusing the Force?" Kenobi asked in mock displeasure.

   "If it works, it works," Anakin shrugged. He was not in the mood for jokes or a conversation. "Padmé should be back soon, and it's late. We'll discuss what Sidious wanted tomorrow."

   Kenobi wanted to protest, but given the events of the day, he didn't. Anakin was complicated and the mess of the night had brought out the worst side of him- aside from Anakin wished to banish. "I'll see you in the morning then. Get some rest," he comforted. Despite his turmoil, Anakin was Obi-Wan's brother. Anakin trusted him and Obi-Wan was determined to keep that trust.  

Hello there!!!

This isn't my favorite chapter ever, but it gets better from here, I promise! We might even meet a certain Padawan soon...