Chapter 18: Home

"General Amidala-Skywalker," Commander Rex called into his comlink, "An Imperial-looking fighter has entered the upper atmosphere, and by its course, is looking to land here."

"A fighter?" Padmé clarified, "Rex, try to establish communication. Permission to shoot if necessary."

"Yes, Ma'am!"

The Clone Commander adjusted his comlink to utilize the Imperial channel, "Unidentified fighter, identify yourself or be destroyed."

Anakin's voice rang clearly through the transmission, "Varykino, this is General Skywalker. Do not shoot. I repeat, do not shoot. Permission to land?"

"Permission granted."

——————————
Padmé rushed into the courtyard as the Imperial Fighter landed in the courtyard. We need a proper hangar for ships she thought as it circled the grass. Padmé admired the prototype's design- sleek, elegant, and easy to maneuver in a fight. However, she couldn't decide if the design was simpler, or if Anakin was such a talented pilot.

Anakin didn't seem like himself when he exited the Imperial fighter. First of all, the young Jedi Knight was disheveled and covered in dried blood and dirt, from Force knows where. He didn't stand with his usual perfect posture, and instead slouched and cradled his cybernetic arm. After seeing him in such a broken state, Padmé's blood boiled. What did Palpatine do now? She rushed towards Skywalker and threw her arms around him. "What happened?" she asked, refusing to let go, "Are you alright?"

"I'll be fine. It's nothing a bacta tank can't heal." Anakin reluctantly pulled away from the embrace, trying to look stronger than he felt.

Then, noticing Rex also standing uncomfortably on the landing platform, he straightened up and tucked a lock of golden-brown hair behind his ear. "Sorry about that," Skywalker addressed, "I didn't see you there."

"None took," Rex said halfheartedly.

"On a different note, where are the twins?"

"Who?" The Clone shot a quizzical look towards the couple, "General, Ahsoka, Han, and Obi-Wan are inside. They just returned from Yavin IV."

Anakin chuckled, "It's been three weeks and you still haven't met the twins yet?"

"Well, we've been busy," Rex said, crossing his arms.

The Jedi crossed his arms in return, "Then it's about time you've met Luke and Leia."

——————————
Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Padmé had completed the nursery shortly after the twins were born, and Anakin and Obi-Wan spent many sleepless nights assembling furniture and painting, while Padmé cared for the babies and conducted meetings with Senator Organa and Senator Mothma. Now, the bedroom was painted a light cream color with identical cribs for Luke and Leia. The walls were detailed to look like the meadow surrounding the mansion, and the ceiling fashioned like the blue sky. A chest of toys was placed in the corner of the room, next to a small chair.

"You three must have spent a lot of time decorating this," Rex commented, looking around at the whimsical room, "I've never seen something so beautiful in my life."

Skywalker shrugged, "It was worth it. Padmé suggested the mural." He gestured around the nursery modestly.

As General Amidala-Skywalker and Knight Skywalker walked towards the twins' cribs, Ahsoka smiled, her eyes glancing from her former master to his wife. "I'm just so happy for you two," she said wistfully and then paused. "I'm glad that you are finally happy," she corrected.

"Thank you, Snips. It's even better that you, Rex, Obi-Wan, and now Han, are here too."

Padmé led Ahsoka to the small, but comfortable chair in the corner of the room and motioned for her to sit down. Then, the senator picked up a newborn boy and cradled him in her arms for a few moments before handing him over to the young Togruta. "This is Luke," she pronounced as Ahsoka tenderly held the baby.

"Aww," Tano cooed adoringly, "He has Anakin's eyes and your smile."

"Well, Aunt Ahsoka, what about Leia?" Anakin asked as Rex played peek-a-boo with the baby he was holding.

Ahsoka shifted in her seat and made room for Leia. "Hand her over, Skyguy," she said, a smile still plastered to her face.

Reluctantly, Anakin handed Leia over to his former Padawan, who balanced the twins perfectly. Rex knelt next to the chair as Han clung to Padmé, not wanting to get too close to the babies. "It's alright," the Senator assured him, "You don't have to hold them if you don't want to." Then to everyone else in the room, Padmé announced, "I'll take Han and go look for Obi-Wan. I'll be back soon."

A few minutes later, Senator Amidala-Skywalker returned to the nursery with Obi-Wan Kenobi close behind. "I see you have met the twins who almost laid waste to the galaxy," he said, a loving twinkle in his eyes.

"These cuties?" Ahsoka inquired, "I mean, I have just met them, but I would do anything for them."

"That's probably why they're so dangerous." Kenobi chuckled and made his way towards Padmé and Anakin, who were standing by the window, overlooking the meadow. "You modified the TIE to make sure the Empire cannot track it, right?" he asked, quietly, not wanting to disturb the heartwarming scene.

   Anakin nodded and continued to stare out the window, his eyes glazed in thought. "Han is familiarizing himself with the fighter," Padmé added, "It will be great to have a new Imperial fighter at our disposal."

"Mhm," Skywalker said, suddenly hit with a wave of nausea and vertigo, "but I forgot that I have to check on something. I'll be right back."

"What happened?" Rex inquired, looking up at the Jedi and Senator.

"I don't know," Padmé said, "I'll talk to him tonight. Something that happened on Corellia must be bothering him."

Ahsoka frowned slightly but her attention was quickly drawn to the twins, as Luke stirred in his sleep. Before the boy could wake up, Obi-Wan took him and rocked the baby back to sleep. "You hold them like this- to support the neck," he instructed.

Tano smirked, "Since when do you know so much about taking care of children?"

Obi-Wan shrugged. While originally disappointed that his former Padawan had broken the Jedi Code, he immediately fell in love with the young Luke and Leia. They were both innocent and unaware of the turmoil they had been born into. "I must have picked it up somewhere," Kenobi shrugged.

Hello there! Liking the wholesome content? Enjoy it while it lasts!!! I'm planning more Anidala in the future just because. Thank you so much to everyone for sticking with this story! I really really really appreciate it! Remember to vote or comment if you like the story and May the Force be with you!